New
Find
Notify
Tools

The end of the cull.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
TP and I have been busy over last week or two culling the feral goats on my farm. We've taken out approx 70, and whats left were the fast and smart ones including the biggest billy. Id promised Sidney, my partners daughter a crack at him if we got the chance and this afternoon we found the remaining mob of nine which he was part of.
When under pressure, they do get smart and this mob was on to us pretty quick, but we go set up and Sidney did well to wait until the big guy finally stopped and presented a partially clear shoulder shot, which she drilled.
The rest of the mob was off, and i left her hbehind and chased them up, getting 6 confirmed and still one got away that i saw, plus I think I might have got a 7th but can not remember where it was when i shot it, so we will see.

Anyway, her Billy is her first real trophy and was a true old battler in is last years.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And hit it in the right place too,well done girl.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, wasn't the easiest of shots either as they were on the move through scrub and he was always blocked by other goats.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like big fun Craig! Congratulations to Sidney on that billy!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Zee!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting by Sidney. Congrats all round.
Looks like she has taken the shooting tuition very well. I hear the ladies usually do well in that regard.

You're right about how Goats learn under shooting pressure. They wise up very quickly and many become surprisingly adept at avoiding trouble. The thing I've seen some individual Goats do really surprised me at times.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well placed shot girl, congrats on getting the
job done right.

What was the range and gun?
Looks well fed.

Thanks for sharing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
range was about 80 meters, rifle is a Howa Mini In 6.5 grendel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine shot. Congratulations to the girl.

Dave Manson

Posts: 685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote