THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Customs information for importing firearms into Australia.

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customs information for importing firearms into Australia.
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
This link was posted by Ridgeman and as it contains some good info for visiting hunters I've made it a sticky.
The main fact sheets of interest to visiting hunters will be the Importing Ammunition and the Importing Cat A and B firearms.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Australia last summer and used the outfitter's gun. It was the first time I have ever not used my own gun on a hunt. I have to say that while I don't know if I'll ever do it again, it was no problem at all and traveling around without dealing with a gun case was a luxury (we had a lot of internal flights - Sydney - Christchurch and back, Sydney to Cannes and back, Cannes to Gove and back, etc.).

For anyone contemplating leaving their gun at home and using one provided by the outfitter, I endorse it under these circumstances. (With the caveat that I hunted with a well known and respected outfitter that I had confidence in).

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks, on a quick reading of this, as if sheath knives also fit on the list of prior approval by Customs and Border Protection...

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Looks, on a quick reading of this, as if sheath knives also fit on the list of prior approval by Customs and Border Protection...

Regards

You won't have any problems with ordinary hunting knives even though 'sheath knives' are on that list.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customs do have problems with double edged blades EG daggers Including dive knives that are double edged.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there Bakes Pete here from Tindal N.T. Found my password after a few years. Haven't got my rifles here with me yet but looking forward to taking the .458 Lott for a run when I do. I also have a .338 R.U.M in a Ruger #1 that I have yet to shoot.
Pete
75gunnies

Posts: 58 | Location: Tindal N.T Australia | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
baker thanks for the link

where I got tripped up was not knowing that I needed an export permit to take my gun home

even export permit for brass picked up and re boxed

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - this whole 'export permit' thing is being overstated by Customs on arrival... particularly people arriving in Brisbane. I have had clients this last year told they need a 'special export permit' for scopes and such ... just utter scaremongering BS. I have been trying to rectify this situation with Customs but it seems this scaremongering is persisting.

All the 'export permit' is is a restricted good permit that you get from the Customs office at the airport of departure. At smaller international airports like Cairns and Darwin this can be a hassle as they dont have Customs offices that are manned all the time - you have to plan ahead. You can get t done the day before departure. It is basically a load of BS but you have to do it. You go to a Customs office and fill out a departure form with the firearm details and any accessories you want to take - they write it in a book or computer and stamp the form and off you go to Checkin - it SHOULD be that simple.

Anyone travelling to Australia with firearms (to any port) - you would do well to email Customs first and let them know, so they are expecting you. I can supply my firearms friendly contact in Customs - but I dont want to post it here publicly. Just PM me and I'll send it.

Cheers
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH - for the record - Sydney is the best point of arrival foor firearms at the moment. There is an issue if you want to overnight in Sydney/NSW on the way in - but I am trying to get that resolved right now. Anyone traveling on the same day will do well going through Syd. People flying from Dallas on QF will be better off disembarking in Brisbane if traveling north from there - but then you must be prepared for ill-informed Customs officials (at present).

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

posted Hide Post
I am a blogger (retired from civil service) and am planning a trip to Australia. I would write articles for my blog and spend some time getting to know the Australian gun culture and doing some hunting. I have a friend who manages a family farm (probably the owner or part owner by now) who has invited me. I met him in the U.S. more than a decade ago.

When I go over, I would like to stay for a couple of months, at least, buy a vehicle, and travel over the country. I am considering bringing a rifle or two and doing some hunting. I would be flying into Sydney as it is closest to his farm (about 300 miles away).

I haven't seen any step by step procedures to do a temporary import for hunting, so any help would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions for avoiding pitfalls about travelling around Australia while transporting a firearm.

I have a combination gun, 12ga over 7X57R, that is a possibility if bringing more than one gun is of great difficulty.

I posted fairly frequently on Accurate a few years ago as DesertRat, but got busy with a number of other things.

You can check out my writing at http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/ if you wish to verify my bona fides. If the link does not come through, any search for Gun Watch will show it. My articles regularly appear on The Truth About Guns and Ammoland.

Posts: 1 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can hardly endorse the above poster he is one of the good guys.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean - as you can see above... NSW is a disaster area for hunters wanting to come and travel around that state and hunt legally . The licencing authority does not accept landowner sponsorship as a reason to give you a temporary permit and an import permit. They do not accept a NSW hunting licence (unlike Victoria). They will only accept a booked safari hunt with a licenced operator (I am NOT one in that state, even though I live there), OR a club sponsered event - a recognised hunting club in NSW. Neither of these reasons will cover you for traveling around the state and using the firearms in other places within that state, they are specific to the activities that you got them for.

I am currently taking this up with the local authority (NSW Police Firearm Registry). I would suggest at this stage your best bet is to do the same. Let them know what you want to do and see what they say. Get as much info as you can about the places you want to hunt. Tell them you wish to hunt on public land as well, when you get here. Please let us know what they say.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms

Your other option iss too import through Victoria - but then you will not be covered when you cross the border into NSW.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not too sure where we'd land, likely Sydney But, we'd like to visit Pete in Coff's Harbor, and some others in Vic, likely do some hunting in Vic with them while there.
We're also thinking of buying a used car and drive as desired. Ending up at Darwin to hunt with you.

Does this sound workable? OR like a disaster in the works?
Many thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes of coourse it is workable - so long as you take into account what I have written above, in relation to NSW. It is no worries getting a 'transit' permit for NSW however, so long as you dont use the firearms while there (yeah I know that sounds odd!!). You will need to get a permit for the NT and Vic too, if you plan to hunt there.

Hopefully I can get them to change this NSW situation in the meantime. Thankfully it is mainly a regulatory issue, not a legislative one.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Arrived in Darwin yesterday and charter out tomorrow into Arnhem Land for a buffalo hunt with three buddies. Immigration and customs was a breeze upon arrival in Brisbane. All paperwork was in order and I had made 4 complete copies of my travel package (all firearms and airlines related so documents for firearm and munition). We did have one snafu on a lost bag that happens to be ammo for two firearms. Qantas is of zero value in assisting us on the matter. There is no 450/400 or 404 Jeffrey ammo in Darwin. I have my 577 and two other gents have 375 and 450 so we have plenty of rifles and mo for the group. Still a major pain is the ass with incompetent airlines personnel and piss poor tracking of baggage.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the hunt James.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to Australia in September want to take my firearm. Does any one have any recent experience with bringing firearms into Australia. Will be using a outfitter and Quantis airline

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is 2 hours enough to arrive and transfer a rifle to quantas to Darwin?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote