Notify
Tools

Hunting plans this year
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great photo Gryph.
Like that very much.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Good that its appreciated,they dont come easy these deer.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And to put it in perspective, Its not easy country to get in close and undisturbed on such wary creatures in.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I am always envious of your pics , Gryph. I know the patience needed to get in there for a pic . I takes me hat off to ya.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes has shape but no inners,he has had those antlers for a long time and should be in velvet atm but sambar don`t play by any rules.
The inners could have been broken off long ago and worn down,or he is just a mong...or is it age related? Those coronets are well down.
Muzza I know that you have been over to the land of the free previously and ask have you hunted in Vic.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Hunted a Hog Deer a few years back , in Gippsland , Gryph. Thats the only Victorian deer hunting I have done - although my boy and I had a weekend fox hunting with some very generous Melbourne guys about 8 years ago.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to get back to Qld late this year but cant see that happening . Just have to do some hunts at home ...

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunted a Hog Deer a few years back , in Gippsland , Gryph.

Thats another good deer for hunting here also but the King of all deer is the Sambar,i`m surprised that you havent been over for them.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Photo's of The Poms Red

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sambar,i`m surprised that you havent been over for them.

Opportunity never arose mate . Talked about it with the guy I did most of my Qld hunting with but never made it happen.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Qld and its deer are a long way removed from hunting high country sambar Muzz,you should put the feelers out and become addicted.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
My ADA branch is doing another Sambar trip in September. I won't be able to make it this year but will give it a shot next year.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Do you know where they are camping Bakes?

Here`s another ADA hunt on down here.That camp is approx 1.5 hours from here.

https://www.austdeer.com.au/20...42&mc_eid=ef6f23eaa0

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Don't know mate. The last one they went down on as a branch was at Bright? (I think) The one in Sept is an general ADA camp open to every member. If I remember correctly.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Bright and surrounding areas has a lot of sambar deer and also some unforgiving country too. A lot of it is too tough for some.

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Well NZ is out of the question again Mad had to flee last year before nailing anything so looks like the only hunt in the next few months will be Humpy Horses again " got 70 in Nov", shit might have to come see you Gryph to see what a deer looks like again Big Grin

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wazza56:
shit might have to come see you Gryph to see what a deer looks like again Big Grin

Camels,flies n heat.... I much prefer the cold hills thats for sure.
There`s a fair difference in rolling humps to getting around our southern bush mountains and I am heading off in a couple of hours to have another crack at em with camera,dog and gun.

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
mountains?, NZ has mountains get round them every year when back home Big Grin

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote