New
Find
Notify
Tools

I SAW A SAMBAR!
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Traveling home from my leave, have the wife in the car, AND 20km south of Cooma on the side of the road in the middle of the Monaro Plains with not a tree within 5km, a bloody Sambar spiker!

I was very excited Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thats great Bakesy,did he have a hole in his dial like this after you shot him lol?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate I was pumping along at 100kph, towing a trailer. Not even enough time to stop and try for a photo. Wife thought it was a horse at first rotflmo Antlers would've been about 30cm.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody typical. You spot a sambar spiker, and Gryph gos and shoots it.
dancing

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:

I was very excited Big Grin

I get excited seeing sambar at any time too cobber.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Bloody typical. You spot a sambar spiker, and Gryph gos and shoots it.
dancing

yep,out the window on the bitumen in the Nat Park...easiest ones.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what all the laws are these days. Educate me. I was under the impression that sanbar were considered endangered + thus the horns could not be sold. If that is incorrect, then if someone shot one on a hunt, could the horns be brought back stateside? I'm not going hunting there but this is just a question of interest.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought two sets of sambar antlers out of aussie a few years back. I tried to find out at airport if there was any restriction, and they looked at me like i was mad- Its an introduced species, we dont care was the essence of it.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
As Shanks says...nil restrictions. Its why we have an every day of the year season..no limits on numbers,sex or age.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Interesting to know. I bought my son a set of sanbar antlers years ago + he made them into grips for a Ruger Vaquero birdshead. They were beautiful. But those antlers were pricey here in Texas.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy: check your pms, a week old. '

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote