New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just for Gryph..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well not really just for him, but I did take my phone for some pics this time.

Went out to get some venison for the neighbours, and realised there were a heap of mushrooms as well. Nothing better than Mushrooms and venison casserole... or steak and mushroom sauce, so took another deer for myself in between filling my hat.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks: Can't tell you how much I wished I'd been in NZ when your lockdown hit. Freshly killed venison and freshly cut 'shrooms--nothing better. I've been in contact with friends there and it's the shits--just like here.

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, we are three days in and people are all ready going crazy. If any of you are on FB, check out the great NZ lockdown mouse hunt. It is all hunters locked at home going crazy. Its the funniest thing I have seen in a long while.
What part of michigan are you from? My partners sister is a nurse In St Joseph. She says they are preparing for way worse.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Shanks,
You're reminding me of what I can't do currently. I'm warding off boredom doing stuff that is actually boring and reminds me it's not want I want to be doing. I think I'm going slightly crazy. Wifey took this leg of wild pork from the freezer yesterday for tonight's dinner. Looking at it thawing gives me pangs....
mechanical keyboard switch tester

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
It seems your camera actually works then Shanks,nice job.Looks very dark meat ,was she old as the hills?
We have had an explosion of mushies here too mate,theres a bit of venison in the freezer too.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics Gryph.
Did either of those fine beasts end up in your freezer ?

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
It seems your camera actually works then Shanks,nice job.Looks very dark meat ,was she old as the hills?
We have had an explosion of mushies here too mate,theres a bit of venison in the freezer too.

Spot on, which is why its going into casserole. The steak is vacuum packed and ageing for a few weeks before i give it a try.
its something I recommend everyone try, especially if you dont have a big chiller. meat doesn't dry out and ages beautifully with no oxygen.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The juxtaposition of mushrooms with venison points to a certain hypocrisy I see in antihunters. Given the chance and knowledge of which mushies are safe, many love to share in that bounty of nature and feel a great joy in collecting them.

So, with retail therapy curtailed, don't be surprised if many women take a new interest in picking mushrooms, not just for the food but for the thrill of the hunt.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have thought similar along the lines of us hunter gather types or even famrmers were laughed at or despised by some up until a few weeks ago, yet a simple thing such as a single cell proves the importance of a knowledge of how to provide food for yourself.
You dont need to hunt when you can get your food from the supermarket.... Hows that working for you now? you cant even get bog paper.
And yes the hypocrisy of some who would be fine with the mushrooms yet turn their nose up at venison from the same piece of grass...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks: We're on the eastern side of the state, about 100 miles north of Detroit. The four counties comprising the metro area are the "hot spot" for corona. We're a little ways out of that, but close enough to be concerned.

Looking at the stats of our current scourge compared to the annual influenza visitation, the current "crisis" seems overblown. It does have the advantage, however, of conditioning us to accept all manner of restrictions we normally wouldn't. Best to all, Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Conditioning. Thats a good word.

We have ,now , an on-line form from our Police , that we can use to dob in someone we perceive as not following the rules . I see it as the beginning of the police state , where everyone is looking over their shoulder in fear of being reported by everyone else. Think East German Police as a recent-times example of how that works.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Gentlemen

As l know Dave M and have read and enjoyed many of all your posts on here over the years l'd just like to ask you all to...
Please, please take this nasty little bug seriously!! lt respects no one, and not any form of barrier put in it's way to try and block it's progress.
l have been informed this evening that a man l know in this area has just died from Corona Virus. He was country based and in a position to easily isolate yet he fell victim to it anyway.

For your families, take care.

Ratty.
….

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep agree. Im not against the measures being taken for the duration of this. As long as we return to open democracy at the end of it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ratty,
Thankyou. I and people I know are heeding the lockdown orders for the good of our families, communities and country.
Wishing you the best as well through these troubles. Hoping we all come through unscathed healthwise.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
30.06 neither were shot,my freezers are fine atm.
The extraordinary condition of this one will take some tossing.A prime young Sambar hind in the 1st pic followed by a Fallow buck,I had to attend to both by hanging from a beam in my kitchen due to fkn flies outside.

This one volunteered her head but was left alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gryph,
I've seen some fat animals in my time but never with as much fat as that fallow. Must have been grazing on great pasture.
Another great pic of the hind.
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Buck I got growled at for not taking pictures of by Gryph, here are some pics of the fat at boning time.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ratwhiskers:
Well Gentlemen

As l know Dave M and have read and enjoyed many of all your posts on here over the years l'd just like to ask you all to...
Please, please take this nasty little bug seriously!! lt respects no one, and not any form of barrier put in it's way to try and block it's progress.
l have been informed this evening that a man l know in this area has just died from Corona Virus. He was country based and in a position to easily isolate yet he fell victim to it anyway.

For your families, take care.

Ratty.
….

Yes, though the economic disruption is not to be sneezed at Frowner this virus really is serious. The earnest medical advice says it is much more dangerous than flu, at least until there is a vaccination. Our government wants its spread slowed, if not stopped, simply because there won't be enough hospital capacity and equipment to cope if it is not.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Buck I got growled at for not taking pictures of by Gryph, here are some pics of the fat at boning time.

Damn Shanks,
I'm really impressed with that fat layer. Must be fantastic for the meat. I'm so happy I won't have to go all the way to Gryph's place to shoot nice fat Fallow, if you get my drift...??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, always welcome Grant.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thats an impressive fat layer Shanks,reminds me of a few Tassy bucks that i knocked many years ago.
This below believe or not (as you can clearly see of course) is section of a fat arsed sambar stag.I hacked it up for dog tucker...long story mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long story that you might have told me.....? Shot by others and found next day by you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I don't know anyone that's died from this.

Local guy mid 30's brought it back from Seattle.
Healthy and active, sports etc. "really kicked my ass".
My 75yo bil has had it close to a month now and said
about the same thing, 'mighty sick, worse than the flu" he's a bible thumper so expected a change of
wording. Now he has cellulitis in a leg.
Sis has it but, won't tell me how bad it's hit her yet.

Never seen fat like that on anything other than
domestic hogs and a bear I trimmed out one season long ago. He had 7" thick on his back.

Amazing deer being that fat.

Thanks for sharing the pictures guys.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes shot by after dark bandits and lost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They missed out on some fantastic eating!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:

But Gryph growls at everyone.....

The reason the deer are so fat round him is due to him being camera happy and not getting the rifle out in time afterwards....

Righty then, back into self isolation before he catches me....

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Well I got the camera out afterwards this evening. Great gobbets of fat all over,the kidneys were invisible,sort of deer that the choosy old bastards like to eat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smashin' bit of meat there Gryph'

lt makes the skinny Roe deer round here look like very poor cousins indeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one!

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thats it Shanks! The best meat chosen for oneself if one can do is always better.

And for one of the 'other mob' elsewhere I typed this out. (re the old cloth)

the material is whats left of a double Doona cover that was prev used as a meat bag.... BUT! my old bitch if left off the chain when a deer is hanging will and has done 3-4 bags by chewing the bottom out of them in a ragged manner to get at the carcase. She is an incorrigible ctun!
The torn bag in question has been sitting in the shed on an old trailer where I have used it as a hand wipe and yesterday I dropped the guts on it as the hanging shed (hay) has a dirty old earthen floor,as the pic shows,remember?
One thing to note is that when I bring a whole deer home and open it up the blood of course simply drops onto the floor where it pancakes and soaks in. That is generally after the dogs have had a good go at it. It eventually crazes and cracks and I noticed this year that the young dog was getting his minerals by eating chunks of dried blood earth cakes...he will eat anyfknthing that bastard!
The deer in the pic was taken months ago and is there for a ref to the hay shed floor.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spot on, which is why its going into casserole. The steak is vacuum packed and ageing for a few weeks before i give it a try.
its something I recommend everyone try, especially if you dont have a big chiller. meat doesn't dry out and ages beautifully with no oxygen.

And if you havent got a cryo machine you simply place a good lump of meat in a deep dish and fill with olive oil or another cooking oil,enough to cover the whole piece. Add some garlic,chilli and rosemary if wanted and leave for a month...no air can get to the meat this way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Nice tip. Will try this. tu2

And if you havent got a cryo machine you simply place a good lump of meat in a deep dish and fill with olive oil or another cooking oil,enough to cover the whole piece. Add some garlic,chilli and rosemary if wanted and leave for a month...no air can get to the meat this way.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote