THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Aussies two biggest pests- Pigs and kangaroos

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aussies two biggest pests- Pigs and kangaroos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I did some roo and fox shooting.

One night on a big sheep station we shot 14 foxes with a spotlight, and a few roos.

I think a team that were purposely trying to shoot roos could kill a 300-400 a night.

If they were trying to utilize the meat they could probably kill 150.

Never found a good way to shoot pigs at night from the truck. Maybe someone else has this worked out. Pigs don't seem to be phazed by the light and are gone in a flash.

Roo meat is the cheapest meat you can buy in a store in Australia. It is sold everywhere (Woolworths, IGA and so on). When we lived there 2010-2013 it was about $1 USD per 2 pounds.

Not really super common in non-tourist diners.

I never minded it as a hamburger, but it is very metalic tasting on it's own. Mixed with beef suet or ground pork it makes a decent sausage. On it's own it is kind of rough.

Australian's kind of acted like it was poor people food, at least locally in Canberra.

I doubt there is much beef served in Australian fast food joints with the low cost of kangaroo.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course Australias biggest pests are its politicians!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWW is correct on all though the price of Roo meat has skyrocketed with all meat here. More like 5-6 USD/pound or thereabouts. The powers that be are pushing meat out of the average fellas budget pretty hard.

Just 10 years ago I could find cheap whole beef rumps on special still for $3-4/kg, that low grade rump price has almost doubled.

High grade meat now costs more than seafood or lobster.

Even cheap cuts and offal which were once a few cents a KG decades ago are 10x more expensive. There used to be a bunch of 'poor meat options' which were still good eating like mince ,tail, pork belly and shanks but they all command a price these days.

Considering we are a major meat producer and roos cost nothing to farm these price increases are nothing but pure big business fuckery. 'The drought' and 'taxes' arent enough to explain it. Its selling to international markets that drive the shit out of the price range of average Australians being the problem. Same with our real estate too incidentally.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What gets me, as I understand it, is you guys cant go out to a farm with a destruction permit, and shoot a roo for your freezer. They have to lay where they fell. Total stupidity.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Karl, Australian real estate baffled me.

We lived at 8 Pildappa Street, Harrison ACT, I was in the military and the US DOD rented it for me. I didn't get to pick it out, was where I was assigned. Nice house, but no land.

When we moved in it had sold for $240,000 (which was an ok price).

When we moved out it was worth $450,000 according to all homes when we left in Nov 2013.

Today it is worth $720-880,000 AUD. $555,771 to $679,276.

Land in Australia is at a premium considering that there are 30,000,000 people in the same area that would hold 200,000,000 Americans.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/w...4_-_with_equator.png

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Australia would hold 200,000,000 Australians too - except there is nowhere near enough water available for that size population.. Thats why 90% of the population lives within 100 kms or so of the coast

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For a minute I thought you meant the politicians! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That kind of gos without saying I think Saeed.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I also thought politicians were at the top of the list. The damn commies. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
- except there is nowhere near enough water available for that size population..

The Top End monsoons produce enough water for a zillion people,it runs out to sea instead of being dammed.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002