New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tongariro crossing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few weeks back My Partner, her daughter and i did the famous Tongariro crossing. Its not far from where I live, but generally there are too many people walking it for my taste, so had never done it. But with tourists due to return i thought it was as quiet a time as I would ever get.
Its about a 20K walk and you climb over an active volcano too a height of 1900 meters and back down the other side. The walk takes you past and through active vents and cones and is pretty spectacular. It last erupted in 2012 and the area is showing signs of increased activity again now.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Craig! Thanks for putting them up!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool pics Shanks. Indeed, it's a great walk. Done it two or three times just 'cos I enjoyed it so much. Most walkers start at the south end as I think there's less uphill involved but my favourite is during Winter with some snow around, not many people and starting from the Northern end. Also been tempted to hike up Ngauruhoe and stay overnight ( I think that's still permitted ) but so far have never been organised enough to do it.
Also found a little bit of old deer sign in places but never seen any live ones.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the area of that last photo had a little deer sign, but im guessing they are quite nocturnal.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like quite a hike,

Mighty fine bunch of pictures.

Did you feel of the lake water, is it warm?

Again, many thanks for sharing your excursion with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So if or when that volcano does a White Island will victims qualify for a Darwin Award? stir

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must confess I never thought to feel the water temp.
As far as I know, the volcano gives some indications its getting active. but Im unsure on that. Just one of the risks I guess.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Great pics,great scenes BUT the first thing I thought when i read "active" was White Island.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its kind of one of those things. if you are there on the wrong day, you might nt get to post pics. But its so rare. White island is a bit different, considering its an offshore island, its killed more than its fair share over the years.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Your line "if you are there on the wrong day, you might nt get to post pics."

My line " if you are there on the wrong day, you might not get to TAKE pics.

All crap aside I would prob do it too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the area is one of the most volatile super volcanos in the world, and while for some reason its relatively dormant ATM, Its slightly overdue to blow given its usual schedule. When I was growing up, we used to duck shoot an area of the waikato called the Buried forest, which given its name, is an area of forest remains that can still be seen that was covered in pumice and ash from the last big blow 1800 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
It`s a volatile place NZ that`s for sure.
That forest is it petrified stone now?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, as I understand it, still wood. Im not sure of the whole story, but a large area of it was uncovered when they built a dam in the 1920s, and then flooded with water. when they created the lake.

https://www.google.com/search?...w=1359&bih=729&dpr=1

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Tar shanks.

As an aside I hope when (if) it ever goes off that it wont be anything like the Tongan one up the road...or should that be sea!

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7063

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We could hear the Tongan eruption clear as a bell from here. Was quite freaky and we were trying to work out what it was until it came over the news.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yep,that would have been a freak out for sure.