New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Year Small Game Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I decided to hunt all last year with a 20G for small game and I was not giving anything over a 12G.

Smoking them with the 20G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great hunting scenes, thanks for posting.

Good shooting too.

Enjoyed tu2

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, never seen that many foxes
in my life.

Where?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mainly Victoria, Australia but there was a scene or two from NSW, Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spectacular action!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Spectacular action!

Glad you liked it. I've got a 20g three barrel coming in on special order so this year hopefully will be 50% more action lol!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Explain the red dot to me plse.

If I get it right it's basically on the camera under the barrel and not a sighting device for you. ie you can track the shot / shooting afterwards on your screen. Correct ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. You can align red dot with your aiming point using a mobile phone app. You do not see the dot during hunting, only when you replay video on your computer. It is a good way to check your point of aim after the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was educational for me. Nice to see how birds and small game are hunted in Australia! I do a lot of shotgun shooting for birds and small game in Canada. My perception of the lead required to make a hit is quite different than what was shown in the video. Thinking about that, I believe the difference is whether the gun is moving through the target or not. I tend to shoot with a "swing through" method. To my eye the lead I need to make a hit is less than half of the leads shown in this video. Surprising what a difference it makes vs "sustained lead" method as used here. I'd be interested to try out one of those cameras and test the theory.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can align red dot with your aiming point using a mobile phone app. You do not see the dot during hunting, only when you replay video on your computer. It is a good way to check your point of aim after the hunt.

would you please inform us - what app and camera you were using?

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The camera is the ShotKam 2018 and the application is ShotKamPro which you can get from google play.

it has made a big difference for how I perceive sight picture and how to playback misses and understand why.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Exactly my thought.

With swing through I tend to shoot behind on a bad day and with method there shots seemed to be in front.

My snap shooting is also a variation of swing through.

I am a very ordinary shot with a shotgun.

Really cool fun hunting.

quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
This was educational for me. Nice to see how birds and small game are hunted in Australia! I do a lot of shotgun shooting for birds and small game in Canada. My perception of the lead required to make a hit is quite different than what was shown in the video. Thinking about that, I believe the difference is whether the gun is moving through the target or not. I tend to shoot with a "swing through" method. To my eye the lead I need to make a hit is less than half of the leads shown in this video. Surprising what a difference it makes vs "sustained lead" method as used here. I'd be interested to try out one of those cameras and test the theory.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What size shot do you use on the fox.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year 1 oz #3 but also used BB, #2 and #4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often watch your videos on youtube and find them great. I've started using a Silver Pigeon 28bore a lot now with 22gr loads and really happy with its performance.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff. I'd love a 28 bore at some stage. Got my eye on a triple 20G this year for now so maybe next year or if a bargain pops up I'll grab it.