Find
Notify
Tools

May Tahr hunt 2021
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Malcolm Prouting of Station Air flew us into Leyll Hut.

Set up for the shot.

Bull down.

Heading to the Hut.

Possum stole my Chocolate the first night.

I had hoped the caffeine may have killed him as he didn't return the second night, but no joy as he return the third night.

Im not a fan of Snow.

"You need to check the front of the Car" i was told.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Good animal and photos. Nothing kills possums, they even survive doses of 1080 poison, and most likely thrive on caffeine. If it was a buck he would be friskier than ever Smiler

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a good report and good pics James.
Are you conditioned to the cold or did you just forget your trousers ? Big Grin rotflmo animal

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2012 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NIce one! I'm over snow as well.

Posts: 4231 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Thanks for a good report and good pics James.
Are you conditioned to the cold or did you just forget your trousers ? Big Grin rotflmo animal

My legs look so good it would be a shame to cover them up sofa

Skin dries fast,wet Trousers don't.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
At what temp do Kiwis stop wearing shorts while hunting?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

-10....ish rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
real blokes dont wear long pants unless they are riding motorcycles

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
+1 from another nonfan of snow!

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bakes
posted 08 August 2021 10:31
quote:

-10....ish

Geez Bakes, I don't even hunt when it's that cold, let alone in shorts !

I stared hunting young, when I still lived with Mum and Dad. Hunted in shorts quite a bit, probably somewhat as a macho image thing. A couple of time after coming back from pig hunting with legs all cut up from undergrowth and thorns etc Mum threw a wobbly, worried about looks and infections. That had impact on me as a lad. Since I've always hunted in trou or at least shorts over leggings, but never bare legs again and that's the way it's stayed, here in NZ anyway. It was only years later I wore shorts again while hunting and that was on my first Africa hunt in Zimbabwe in 2016.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2012 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I remember a Craig Boddington article on New Zealand from about 30 years ago where he was hunting on the South Island, it started raining and he got soaked so he changed to his spare set of clothes and got soaked again.

Kiwi was wearing a water proof miliatary smock and a pair of shorts and was comfortable.

This was before you could get ski jackets in camo like we have now; Kuiu, Sitka and so on.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes its the wetness of everything here that most foreign hunters struggle with. Even our snow conditions are wetter than most would expect. get wet and you are in trouble!
When Im in those mountains, I have a set of clothes in a dry bag, and they stay there until I have reached or set up my accomodation for the night- No exceptions. Keeping your tent and clothes dry is like a religion. Not pleasant putting on wet clothes to hunt again next morning, but you do it. Which is where the synthetics thermal long jons really shine! Can wear them dry very quick!

I cant do what James does though, I have next to no fat on my body and the cold gets to me quickly, So I tend to wear the long jons and a set of water proof leggings over them in those conditions.

Posts: 4231 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember a Craig Boddington article on New Zealand from about 30 years ago where he was hunting on the South Island, it started raining and he got soaked so he changed to his spare set of clothes and got soaked again.

Kiwi was wearing a water proof miliatary smock and a pair of shorts and was comfortable.

This was before you could get ski jackets in camo like we have now; Kuiu, Sitka and so on.

Yeah I used to hunt in the NT in a pair of the old Jungle Green pants (surplus with the button fly) that I cut the legs off. I wore them until they rotted away Big Grin. My legs would scratch up, got a dose of itchy mites once that drove me mad. I bought some Ridgeline pants for here in QLD but where I hunt the grass seeds are bloody horrible so now I bought a pair of 511 tac pants and they are great so far. Grass seeds get stuck but a quick brush off and they are good to go. I'm to old to knock around in shorts these days old

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Good pics and good bull. Congratulations and thanks for posting. Hoping to do the same in 2022 but less snow and not certain about the shorts !

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report,
Id really like to do this trip one day.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote