New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Zealand hunt, April 17-29
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My plan is to not make a decision until the last minute. Still planning to go. Interested to read your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
My plan is to not make a decision until the last minute. Still planning to go. Interested to read your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

You shouldn't go. You should send me the tickets instead and I will go and assume all the risk of getting ill. When I return, I'll tell you what a horrible time I had, so you don't feel like you missed out on anything. Wink

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dont worry about the virus, worry about the weather. South island has got pummelled this summer and if it dosen't slow down I would not be recommending a long flight booked in advance on the hope of a break in the rain.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I could "auction" the hunt and stay in Montana golfing.
NOT.
Smiler

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
there is more chance of you dying from a lightening strike than hunting in NZ.

if you are fit and healthy just do it - the virus thing is a political scam blown out of all proportion by a moronic media.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a hunt planned for South Island June 17-21. Waiting for further update. Long flight from LA. Not concerned about weather in NZ. Not concerned yet about virus. Only concern is LA. Hate Commiefornia. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would not want to speculate with what will happen with this virus. However, I will be going to New Zealands South Island at the end of March and hunting Stag on the 8th of April .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
AR-15 rifles are now illegal so New Zealand is now safe to visit Roll Eyes

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
How can that be - yesterdays newspaper poll asking "is NZ safer after March 15th 2019" with a clear 89% saying NO

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
AR-15 rifles are now illegal so New Zealand is now safe to visit Roll Eyes

As long as you're there, New Zealand is not safe. Wanker!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
After tomorrow night if you arrive from overseas , you must go into a compulsory 16 day isolation period , says the prime minister.

Just how they propose to police that will be worth watching.Anyone coming here needs to contact their travel agent asap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just read the same. My NZ hunt plan is over. Will wait to cancel flights. Hoping the airline cancels for me and offers a refund.

Maybe next year.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

posted 15 March 2020 05:12
Thanks. Just read the same. My NZ hunt plan is over. Will wait to cancel flights. Hoping the airline cancels for me and offers a refund.

Maybe next year.

Damn. Not the end of the world I know and out of our control but for you, sorry it's come to this.
Hope all works out for the future.
I'm hoping hard it all blows over in the weeks ahead. Have hunts booked for later this year. Some hunts and all airfares fully paid.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skibumplus3, have not canceled as yet. Recently found out about arrival quarantine in NZ. Bummer at best. Waiting to talk to travel agent and outfitter about cancellation. May have to wait until next year. Or, perhaps go to Africa to hunt sable and Cape buffalo.
We have trip insurance that is suppose to cover all trip costs. But, we will be dealing with the insurance industry and they are historically cheap. Keep us informed what the airlines do about trip refunds. MTG

one of us
posted Hide Post
MTGunner.
This is a bummer. I feel for the businesses, employees, travelers and investors. Crazy times.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We booked our travel, paid for, through Navigator Travel, Evonne O’Neil, in Polson. She owns the Navigator and is without a doubt the best we have dealt with for years. We will contact her after early April to consider our options. Again, we have travel insurance, but dealing with insurance companies is a crap shoot at best. We will contact Gary Herbert, Gary Herbert NZ Hunting, after we discuss with him what can be arranged. Seems NZ has a 16 day quarantine for people going into their country. This in itself would make us miss our hunt dates. So, at this point it will be research and discuss with travel agent and outfitter for options. It will indeed impact the outfitter business and their employees. Will keep this forum informed. MTG

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
New Zealand now has a 14 day self isolation policy in place for all travellers arriving in New Zealand including returning Kiwis. The authorities will be undertaking checks to see that travellers are abiding by the self isolation policy and unless traveller's have a viable plan in place for self isolation they will be refused entry. If they are caught ignoring the self isolation requirement the Government is promising they may be compulsory quarantined and/or deported and face severe restrictions on international travel in the future that comes with being deported from most countries.
Australia is following suit it seems or maybe already has.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eagle27, seems there is some erroneous misinformation being put out by the media. Regardless of whether it be 14 or 16 days quarantine must be adhered to protect all. Perhaps I/we can rebook our trip for 2021 or 2022. Hopefully so. We so enjoyed our trip to NZ in 2016 to hunt. This current trip was to be for our grandsons graduation. Does not look probable at this point. Perhaps in the future. Stay safe everyone. MTG

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
MTGunner have you talked to your Outfitter??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not so far. Waiting to discuss travel issues with agent and to see what will transpire here in the U.S.
Have looked at outfitters website to glean information regarding options. But, have not discussed options as yet. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not get on an airplane for a flight in our current situation, especially if I was more than 60 years old. The common denominator in most of the cases in my state is international airline travel. And this is even coming from countries that don't have a high number of cases.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
As at midnight , thursday 19th march the borders to NZ are closed unless you are a NZ citizen or resident . We are in total tourist lock-down , folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though we have a hunt scheduled for mid June I believe NZ has adopted the correct policy regarding quarantine. With hope this worldwide issue will come to an end soon.
Having said this I pray all will be safe and your families safe. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MTGunner

posted 21 March 2020 05:57
With hope this worldwide issue will come to an end soon.
Having said this I pray all will be safe and your families safe. MTG

You too. Sorry if this mess derails your hunt. But, more importantly, stay safe and keep family close. We will come through, eventually.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I have a trip to the SI booked for May 2021. Sure glad it is not this year. This thing is a disaster and I feel for everyone that is affected. Likely a lot of doomsday preppers out there saying "I told you so!" Not good.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would piggyback on this thread. I have a hunt scheduled in NZ first week of July. I can cancel my flight up until May 31 and get a refund...what do you all think the odds are that foreign tourists will be allowed in NZ by July?

If this is cancelled we’ll drive to the the Flathead valley to visit family, so I don’t mind piling on SkiBums thread

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 897 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seriously do not think NZ will be open to american visitors by July. In fact not a hope.
We are in early conversation with Aussie re a transtasman bubble, but no action yet and are only two days without a virus case- aussie has some way to go yet I think. Write this year off completely I would suggest.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I doubt we will be open for business from anywhere except Australia this side of Christmas.

Your outfitter will hold your deposit or refund it , and the airlines will refund your tickets if you get on to it smartly.

I had a trip to Australia paid for , and pulled the pin too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TT,
I think Shankspony and Muzza have spelled it out pretty truthfully.
I am sorry for all visiting hunters who will have derailed plans.
Even our Prime Minister has said in very recent days that New Zealand's borders will remain closed for quite some time.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder how the deer pen and chopper operators are faring without the usual influx of visiting hunters coming.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gryphon1
posted 07 May 2020 06:21
Makes me wonder how the deer pen and chopper operators are faring without the usual influx of visiting hunters coming.

Most of them will have their business model severely tested this year. If there is nothing secondary to fall back on some may ever suffer extinction. Even a secondary fallback option could be shaky as our economy will be burdened while hopefully recovering.
I know of one small outfitter here who had all 2020 overseas clients cancel this years' hunts. Lucky for him none wanted their deposits returned. Another small operator actually cancelled his clients bookings due to cancelled airline routes and the current compulsory quarantine on arrival in NZ. But at least he still has the farm providing an income.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you honestly see Jacinda letting anyone in (apart from Australians) until their is a vaccine which is widely used and has been for some period of time.
I'm thinking that those here who rely on overseas clients and have no other form of income are in serious trouble...
Personally I have a Northern Territory hunt pencilled in for September and I'd be amazed if that happens. I've got hog deer and rusa booked for next March and May and I'd expect to see Australia open by then to NZ. I've been looking at Zim and Zambia for buff for next year too and I'm not booking that yet as Im not convinced we will be allowed to travel.

Posts: 260 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Can I ask whom you have booked the Hog Deer with?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure - http://www.hogdeer.com.au/
Booked it last year and this year was luckily full so opted for 2021. I was only interested in hunting one free range.
Friends had been with them and said it was good with a lot of deer to look over.

Posts: 260 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been in touch with our outfitter, GH, to be informed he will be contacting clients late July/early Sept. to rebook for 2021. Our travel tickets have been put on hold until last date in 2021. No refund on travel tickets unless flights are cancelled. It is my thought that all will come to fruition. Always been an optimist. MTG

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sws:
Sure - http://www.hogdeer.com.au/
Booked it last year and this year was luckily full so opted for 2021. I was only interested in hunting one free range.
Friends had been with them and said it was good with a lot of deer to look over.

There seems to be an over abundance of big Hog Deer Stags on that one place. Very very unusual for what they say they are running.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. My sincere thoughts for all those hunting and tourist operators who will lose an entire year of business. I’m not sure I’ll see my deposit back and can only hope the operators survive for a future booking.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 897 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote