Tools

Bone out a Fallow
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Not a bad method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...=WL&index=108&t=772s

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! Being self-taught, for 50 years I've been taking the meat off the bone instead of taking the bone off the meat as he does. Nice clean head-shot very young animal helps. A big old stag with bullet-smashed shoulders and ribs might take him a little longer! The meat might not tear off the bone that easy.
I wish I could wield a knife with such style and aplomb instead of scratching around the carcase like a hungry old rooster!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty efficient, though his beating the knife up on the steel made me wince a bit.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
A dry looking skinny deer too,it may take some chewing.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Presuming thats why he was putting most of it through the grinder.
Something I dont see alot of, but that is a great option with lean deer, is boning out the back legs like ordinary, and then slicing thin for schnitzel.
friggen awesome way to turn tougher meat into great eating.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
One of the best is mince! And value add to it by making salamis and snags.

We did 130 KG`s of the above recently.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Humidifier and fan in the bottom of the fridge?

Can you explain your set up Gryph?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Bakes its owned/built by the (one of) mate that comes to do the salami/snags. I know its got a computer fan in it but will get details of the build for you from him today sometime.

It allows for making the small goods year round,I have to do with the coldest room in my house with windows open for hanging mine but it works well but I can only do that in our winter.
I shoot the deer,they bring the pork and pork fat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome! Just my tastes, But I dont really enjoy pork fat in venison salamis/ sausages.

Have been doing mine with some beef fat and some with no added fat and they come out pretty damn good as well.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
beef fat? Going against the traditional grain there mate. You can watch me devour my pork/venison salamis with an after hunt beer...I wont mind!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Ill gladly partake. I just feel the pork adds an unnecessary flavour to venison. To be fair, it started when I had easier access to beef fat, and so I used it. Then found I actually preferred it though most times now with the recipe for sausages that i have, I wont add any extra fat at all.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I suspect that you are using fallow,is that right. Fallow carry lots of fat whereas the sambar cant come close to that amount.
Sambar and pork fat/pork trim marry really well.
Remember when I fed you roasted marinated sambar out on the back porch with the lads?
Your first taste after a preconceived notion that sambar was dog meat (NZ F+H)

I remember your exact words from the time.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Hot off the press shanks,he just sent me this current time pic of pickled sambar venison in the smoker. He shot a stag up here when we were snag making for the Pastrami and he makes the best Pastrami...you know the bloke REMEMBER.....he left my home and came back and told us about the big brown snake at my mailbox that you were gonna kill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
I suspect that you are using fallow,is that right. Fallow carry lots of fat whereas the sambar cant come close to that amount.
Sambar and pork fat/pork trim marry really well.
Remember when I fed you roasted marinated sambar out on the back porch with the lads?
Your first taste after a preconceived notion that sambar was dog meat (NZ F+H)

I remember your exact words from the time.

Yep defiinitely fallow im talking about.

That sambar was bloody good all right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Hot off the press shanks,he just sent me this current time pic of pickled sambar venison in the smoker. He shot a stag up here when we were snag making for the Pastrami and he makes the best Pastrami...you know the bloke REMEMBER.....he left my home and came back and told us about the big brown snake at my mailbox that you were gonna kill.

Friggen awesome to see people make such great nosh out of game meat. So many dont know what they are missing.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:

. So many dont know what they are missing.

Yes what can be at times an ordinary old bit of venison transforms into some rippin` tucker. I kid you not cob,those Pastramis are awesome,moist,tender and tasty and if you were here you would be into them. The snags well some of them were turned into Kranskies with the added cheese,most love them but my own pref are the Italian style with chilli and fennel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me the chilli and fennel recipe if you can. Sound like one id like to try.

Bakes I think it was you had the venison shanks recipe. Most people dont know how good shanks can be.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Most people dont know how good shanks can be.

K does,well doesnt she ha ha

Will mail you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have been told Im sweet and tender.... jumping

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yer rite!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gryphon, those look really delicious.
Had to look up "snag" and found this, among several slang definitions:

A dry inedible sausage served overcooked with burned onion and sauce for two dollars fifty as fundraisers outside hardware stores.

Example: "Gonna get a snag from Bunnings mate?" "Nah fuck off, I'm going to the local Chinese joint and getting something edible!"

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post

You are so right Bill and light years away from a Bunnings snag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pals in Namibia use fat from fat tailed sheep. They think pork fat starts to turn in a few months. But, they do a fair bit of dried sausage, sort of biltong in sausage form, and that might be where that thought comes from.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Had to look up "snag" and found this, among several slang definitions:

A dry inedible sausage served overcooked with burned onion and sauce for two dollars fifty as fundraisers outside hardware stores.

Example: "Gonna get a snag from Bunnings mate?" "Nah fuck off, I'm going to the local Chinese joint and getting something edible!"

https://www.facebook.com/benng...os/10156547962278236

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do whitetails in the same way.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote