New
Find
Notify
Tools

A cool little hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My partners daughter asked me to take her for a hunt this evening. We headed off late afternoon to some clearings. As we approached them a nanny and kid could be seen quite close. We crept in to 20 yards and could see other movement in the swamp grasses which were about 3 feet high. About 50 yards out a billy jumped up a bank and turned towards us. Sidney loaded her 6.5 Grendel and after a bit of discussion on best shooting position, took a lean on her knee and put a round right into the base of his neck where I instructed. It was a pretty shot and pretty result.

I told her to take the lead up the clearings, and on a small clearing up off the valley floor she whispered there was another billy. She took some time with this shot as she just didn't feel right with her lean on a tree, but finally it tuned side on and she had achieved a good rest and it was another fairly instant bang flop.

It's what i like to see, no rush. No pressure to pull the trigger. Just, if it feels right, do it.

We went further looking for more but the shots had cleared the goats out. As were were heading home a goat snorted from the bush. We stalked in quietly trying to find it, and as we came up over a rise I caught movement 20-30 meters away. Focussing in, I realised it was a fallow Doe quietly mooching its way between the trees. 10 meters behind it a very small fawn raced to catch up, stopping close to us to wonder what these intruders were. We were never going to shoot, but it felt damn good to catch them with their pants down in a classic bush stalk situation.

Posts: 4215 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun hunt Shanks!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful story, Like 'The Old Man and The Boy' story.
That sort of thing means a lot!. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well done that Lass. tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Shanks.
Gotta make time and effort sometimes to open the experience to novice hunters. Reminds me of when I was introducing my two young sons to hunting many moons ago. One let it go as other things interested him more. The other became quite a competent hunter and we have done a reasonable amount together. My only regret was not getting the opportunity to show my daughter the ropes as she was pretty keen and I believe would have done well. Sadly that chance is well and truly gone. Happened during a time of life when money making was paramount and free time practically non existent.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1997 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always great to hear of young kids,

especially girls getting out there with gramps.

That's where the "accomplished" feel comes in.

Shanks, good on ya mate!

Fine shooting by the girl too.
She's hooked now!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Well done mate, good story!

quote:
Gotta make time and effort sometimes to open the experience to novice hunters
... and hopefully one day sooner than later experienced visitors from Europe. Thats my way of begging a billy hunt one day dancing

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,
It would be great to meet up when you finally get down here. Sadly though the SA and UK CV strains are yet further spanners in the works. Many Kiwi outfitters catering to visiting hunters are facing another miserable season. For now you will have to remain patient....... very patient, sorry to say.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1997 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a few good ones around the farm im keeping an eye on. I tell anyone who comes they can shoot goats for meat, but if they dont want to get them mounted, leave the big ones alone.
So if you are after a good one charlie, let me know.

Posts: 4215 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
My partners daughter asked me to take her for a hunt this evening. We headed off late afternoon to some clearings. As we approached them a nanny and kid could be seen quite close. We crept in to 20 yards and could see other movement in the swamp grasses which were about 3 feet high. About 50 yards out a billy jumped up a bank and turned towards us. Sidney loaded her 6.5 Grendel and after a bit of discussion on best shooting position, took a lean on her knee and put a round right into the base of his neck where I instructed. It was a pretty shot and pretty result.

I told her to take the lead up the clearings, and on a small clearing up off the valley floor she whispered there was another billy. She took some time with this shot as she just didn't feel right with her lean on a tree, but finally it tuned side on and she had achieved a good rest and it was another fairly instant bang flop.

It's what i like to see, no rush. No pressure to pull the trigger. Just, if it feels right, do it.

We went further looking for more but the shots had cleared the goats out. As were were heading home a goat snorted from the bush. We stalked in quietly trying to find it, and as we came up over a rise I caught movement 20-30 meters away. Focussing in, I realised it was a fallow Doe quietly mooching its way between the trees. 10 meters behind it a very small fawn raced to catch up, stopping close to us to wonder what these intruders were. We were never going to shoot, but it felt damn good to catch them with their pants down in a classic bush stalk situation.

Great story thanks for sharing!! tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys.

it doesn't take long to sit down and put a few lines on the page, and glad i did. Sometimes need reminding that its not just the big and bold hunts that people enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had another cool hunt late last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOM3ZGIG_T0

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ok....SO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?? Wink Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He wasn't what we were after, so let him go.