Notify
Tools

New Zealand Guide Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bulldog05
posted
All,

I have been asked by a friend’s wife to help plan a 40th surprise trip (not until late next year and understand NZ may not even open up until then). I know my buddy is considering a stag trip but is torn between Argentina and NZ. Was hoping someone might have a guide recommendation for the following:

1. Stag, non high fence, moderately adventurous terrain as his wife may join on stalk.
2. A nice lodge where his wife could stay during the day, if she didn’t want to go on stalks.
3. Availability for other animals, non high fence.
4. Close to other non hunting activities.

Any help, suggestions and/or recommendations would be great.

Rick

Posts: 36 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
This guy is genuine. https://www.wildsidehunting.com/about-us

I wouldnt bet the farm on your being able to come to Jacindastan next year though - we will likely still be locked in then

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Saw your inquiry about a hunt for your friend. If your friend has to have an unfenced hunt New Zealand it may be a non starter. Outfits will say they offer free range hunting but that only means the stags are not in a pen. The guy I use has 4000 acres of mountains with all the usual NZ species. The property might be 10,000 acres if you flattened it out but it is fenced. There is road access all over the property so this is not a butt buster. You can find unfenced Tahr and Chamois hunts but I think a true unfenced stag hunt will be a rare bird and a tough hunt should you find one. You have to understand that non indigenous animals (including all ungulates) outside the fenced properties are hunted as vermin by the government and to be irradicated.

This guy also offers touring before or after your hunt and the accommodations are in a beautiful boutique hotel right on a huge lake.

Finally as you said NZ might not be open next year. I have clients booked for Feb/Mar and I'm doubtful they'll get to hunt.

There are some unfenced Argentine horseback stag hunts but trophy shipping issues have kept me out of that market. It seems now that the shipping once it ever gets organized costs as much as the hunt. Do a search on AR on Argentine hunts. I've sent a handful of people to Argentina but I'm not pushing it.

Sorry to be a downer but that's how I see your situation. If I can help with anything or offer an alternative please let me know.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfenced is available. Its just what size expectation the clint has.
Chris Mc Carthy offers hunts for true free range Stags of true proportions. So you are looking at a 12-16 point stag in the 250-350 douglas score id imagine.
Now for those of us in the know, that is a true trophy red stag.
The behind the wire monstrosities are, except for some small trophy books, not really of much trophy value.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulldog05
posted Hide Post
All,

I truly appreciate the input.

Rick

Posts: 36 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with Shanks.
There are plenty of operators with good free range stags. I've not hunted with Chris McCarthy but he does have a good reputation and does seem to get clients onto good stags. His grounds are also quite close to Wanaka and Queenstown so good for the tourism too.
Gordy Watson is a guide I have hunted with and a great operator.I'd look him upto.

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a pic of your recent free range stag is in order SWS. To give some idea of whats available.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Chris is pretty much booked till 24 I think, but his are truly free range and genuine Otago stags of Scottish origin , "Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris"

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWS sent me some photos of his stag to post up. Ill leave him to give details.

One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post

I hunted this stag with Chris, probably 10+ years ago. He is a great guide.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took this free range stag with Davis Musgrave about 15 years ago. I do not think David is guiding anymore but could be mistaken on that point. I had to contact several dozen guides in NZ before I found someone to take me on the hunt I wanted.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
is the "trophy" the animal or the experience?

Theres lots of guides will get you a "trophy" if you are a tape measure hunter but the true trophy is the hard work you have to put in to get a truly wild NZ red stag in his home territory.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you shanks for posting those photos for me.
Mine was a truly wild Otago stag from Mount Nicholas Station.
Wonderful experience

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sws:
Thank you shanks for posting those photos for me.
Mine was a truly wild Otago stag from Mount Nicholas Station.
Wonderful experience

I have been due to hunt there the last two seasons and hope next season will happen as it will be there last due to the owners decision to put at halt to it

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I did enjoy a Stag hunt latter in the year at THE HOSSAK, scoring a lovely Stag, some trout and missed oppertunity at a Fallow Buck.
The Ranch is right near the tourist hot bath village of Hamner Springs which is ideal for the wife.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
To this hunter it is so annoying to read about the monster fenced stags that come so easily with the cheque book.They dont make anyone a hunter in the true sense of the word.Those true free range and WILD stags are the ducks nuts imo.
You only have to look at the "available" stags in photos of certain Guided Outfits pre booking ...'how much is that one etc'

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late next year? The stags will all be in velvet from September on. March to August 2023 will be viable. Travel will almost certainly be open to NZ next year. The present situation is a joke with a couple of cases in Managed Isolation a week while there are dozens of cases out in the community. Given that no member of Ardern's cabinet has ever managed so much as a corner shop, before being given a Government department to run, even they must soon realise that an enormously expensive system designed to prevent the country's biggest export earning industry, tourism, from functioning, is not such a good idea. I will be back in MIQ myself in a couple of weeks and not looking forward to it.
In terms of Free-Range versus high fence, the previous comments are valid. I have taken a few 18 to 24 point stags on a low fenced station in the South Island over the years but big farmed stags were released there and there is still a risk of shooting an old stag with holes in his ears. It is all long range shooting there, not proper hunting. The thrill of taking a roaring 8 point stag in dense bush is much greater, although they don't look so fine on the wall.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote