New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy, but buggered !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back last night from a couple of days fishing off the Coromandel coast with my old and good friend, from his trusty little boat. Great Snapper action.
That's me with our first days catch. Also hooked a stingray that gave me a great battle which we cut loose when I got it to the boat.
Next pic is our day 2 catch. Overall bigger fish.
We split the spoils 50 / 50
I was too buggered last night to process the fish but my darling wife got it all done and into the fridge and freezer. Glad I married that lady. She's the best !

temporary image hosting

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats a boat load of fresh caught snapper! They just look good eating. Some good size fish there too.
kathrin wont process them for me, but she does tolerate me quickly gutting them in the kitchen and stuffing them in fridge when i get in late.
Cleaning up the blood splatter and scales i leave behind...

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You guys are lucky. My wife won't touch them or clean up after me. Big Grin

Nice catch mate. I had some luck on the Tailor yesterday. Pics to follow.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
shankspony
posted 26 January 2022 12:40

kathrin wont process them for me, but she does tolerate me quickly gutting them in the kitchen and stuffing them in fridge when i get in late.
Cleaning up the blood splatter and scales i leave behind...

I wouldn't blame any wife for not wanting to clean up, just glad that mine is willing enough. She actually kills, plucks and guts her own chooks for the freezer ( I sometimes help ) so I guess fish is no big deal anyway. Before we come ashore we usually scale and gut the fish on the boat and stash them in a chilly bin containing blocks of ice, keeping them as fresh as possible. Saves having to dispose of all that mess at home and as you allude to Shanks, those fish scales just end up everywhere.

Thanks Shanks and Bakes. Yep, some great eating there for sure. Look forward to your pics of your Tailor catch Bakes.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gave my boat to my step-son for his birthday last year. He then told me the 150hp outboard was buggered so had to buy him a new one as the boat is too big to row. Good birthday for him!
Last week he took my wife and I out in it on Tauranga Harbour for the first time with the new motor. My wife hadn't been out in the boat for years as she is not a mobile as she used to be. As usual though if she is in the boat she ALWAYS catches the biggest fish. I got a couple of 5lb snapper but hers were all over 10lb. Getting a hook in her thumb slowed her down for a bit but she is pretty rugged and carried on after it was dug out. Drifting lures with the tide you don't catch many small ones compared with using bait. Sharks took several fish of the hook.

Posts: 293 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Here are the tailor. Caught about 8 kept 6. Gave them all away as I don't have the facilities to cook them (I move into a house on the 10th) Most were legal.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bakes,
Are Tailor saltwater fish ? Was this land or boat based fishing ?
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Taylors are Bluefish here! Fillet them or just gut them and scale them====wrap them in aluminum foil with slices of lemon, onion and tomatoes with some butter and a little garlic and put them on the barbie!

Great eating!

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I was too buggered last night to process the fish but my darling wife got it all done and into the fridge and freezer. Glad I married that lady. She's the best ![/url]

Wow!

I have heard of such women, but did not know they existed in real life.

My wife won't touch a piece of meat with her hands until it's cooked.

We almost got a divorce for me processing a trout in the kitchen.

Back in Australia I cut up a sambar on the back porch and was told I had to take 3 showers, throw away my clothes and clean all the blood off of the patio before I was allowed in the house.

She has settled down a bit, but not much.

Annoying, any woman will clean an animal is a treasure.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I have heard of such women, but did not know they existed in real life. any woman will clean an animal is a treasure.

I don't always bring whole animals home but when I do, and when I have finished butchering I'm not allowed to discard of any bones until she's had a good picking over. She'll happily chop off what she wants to keep for boiling, making soups etc. Only shot up meat, bones get the toss usually, making only a small pile to dispose of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Next time you're in Texas Grant, we need to get you out for some fishing!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,
First priority for my next Texas visit is chasing an Aoudad ram, a biggie hopefully ! Would have done that already except Covid doomed my plan.
But tagging on some fishing time sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for that Jim and I'll keep in touch.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Looks great, Grant. I love snapper fishing when I'm down there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you must have a different definition of the word bugger. Here it means a*s fu*ked.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, you must have a different definition of the word bugger. Here it means a*s fu*ked.

That is the true definition of bugger/buggery ha ha.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Grant, Good load of snapper there and as you said great eating too ! Bait off the bottom ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,
Yes, bait of the bottom in the main. About 20 metres or so depth.
We plan to also try some soft baiting. It's quite popular here too but we haven't been properly set up until recently so hoping to give it a go on the next outing. Would have already been out again but the power tilt on the outboard was playing up so my friend's boat is currently in for repairs, or replacement parts more likely. Weather here is reasonable lately and we're itching to go !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun time. Smiler

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote