Tools

6.8 Western
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
So who's rushing out to get one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgNhgA9CzCs

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets face it, if you are not a gun nut and you all ready own a .270, then you would see no need to change.I've Had a bit to do with the 6.5 PRC, and like that these are great new cartridges that are efficient and well designed and if I was after a new rifle id go for this one as I like the heavy bullet for calibre concept and its great they are putting some effort back into the .270. But reality is anything in NZ that you hit in the same spot with a 130gr .270 win projectile will die just as fast.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Winchester is obviously hoping this will be the next 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 PRC, etc that is going to be a springboard for rifle sales. Maybe it will, and I wish them the best with it. If nothing else, I hope it generates some high BC bullets in 270.

In southern Aus it makes a lot more sense than a 6.5, as the 6.8 / 270 is the minimum sambar legal caliber. Pretty much anywhere else in AU / NZ thats a lot less of an issue.

My son is in the process of getting a new rifle built, but he will be going with a 7mm (either 284 Win or 7mm WSM depending on the donor rifle we can find) since its a known quantity in terms of parts availability, and we already have a lot of components on hand.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bakes
posted 21 August 2021 23:26
So who's rushing out to get one?

Not me. I'm sure it's a great cartridge but I'm positive my 30.06, .270W and 300 Win Mag do all I need for how I hunt.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t rush out to buy one but when I replace the barrel on my 270 Win I’ll most likely fit one with a faster twist. That way I’ll have the option to use the longer sleeker pills available.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
One thing is a must to remember...That the firearms industry will always have the 'new this and that' on offer every few years.
They are surely working full time on the next big thing atm.
There are many out there that like to think that their shooting and hunting abilities go hand in hand with buying the latest new calibre so sales will be guaranteed to an extent.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes it is amazing how effective at convincing people to buy a new gun/tent/scope/etc seeing some "Pro" on tv or magazine seems to be.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
These whiz-bang cartridges are creations of the marketing departments of firearms makers. They dont kill anything deader than a calibre invented 100 years ago - but they are new and exciting and theres enough suckers out there that have to have one as soon as it hits the market.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly Muzza. I tend to roll my eyes whenever I hear someone banging on about the 6.5 Creedmoor. My 6.5x55 seems SO yesterday Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote