Find
Notify
Tools

Primers and powder available in Australia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
You fellas having the same trouble we are in the States finding powder and primers? So many of our powders are made in your country.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
If you don't mind a comment from a NZ perspective, yes, components are in short supply. Personally I am not too affected as, for at least once in my lifetime, I was wise enough to stock up a bit the last time supplies resumed after the last shortage, less than 2 years ago. I know and hear of handloaders unable to obtain certain powders and projectiles and I believe primers are even worse. Checking our biggest online auction site ( not very shooter friendly ) where a few components get offered I have recently seen some sales of powders at well over normal retail levels.
I have an order in for some 30 cal Hornady ELD-X 178 gn bullets as I will run out in 2022. So far I've been waiting about 5 months and the latest I hear is they should arrive here in February.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep I sold a 6.5 calibre rifle id only recently built because I just cant compete with the PRC guys gobbling up the projectiles and powder.

probably going to re- barrel another rifle back too .270 so I can both reload and buy factory ammo easily.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
A mate sent me a bottle of 2209 this week,that will keep me going for a while.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Oz the biggest issue is access to powders suitable for pistol use. For the time being ADI has dropped production of Trailboss and all shotgun and pistol powders. They hope to produce 2205 (H4227) at some point in 2022. Due to unprecedented demand, ADI has focussed its production capacity on fulfilling demand of the high volume rifle powders. We are seeing some supplies trickle through locally but even local demand is high because of the shortages.

Then we have the Woodleigh fire supply disruption. Word has it they intend to rebuild but it will take quite a while to resume normal production.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id say Primers we are in better shape than the US( also general ammo and components etc) but specifically pistol powders we are just about out of. The last import stocks of Alliant are about used up and Australia's ADI as mentioned has quit making them for now/ever/who knows.

The target shooting guys are like vampires at the moment for components. I foresee I time, maybe already, we go back to shooting as it was in decades past or grandads day. You didnt just go the range once a week and blast off a hundred rounds for fun. You had ''some fun every now and then'' but most ammo was for hunting.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote