New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went for a hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took the dog out for a bit of a hunt the other night. The main purpose was a bit of training and Im doing a bit of work with him in the bush. Trying to get him to calm down a bit and be a useful indicator. His main purpose is pheasants and flushing so its a totally different mindset. Im choosing my hunting areas carefully as I want quite open bush right now, so the distance is a little more. Not right in his face. I want him indicating on smell and not seeing them.
So we stalk this nice open ridge and gully system and there are deer beds everywhere and fresh prints but do you think we can find a deer!
Criss cross the block and nothing. Finally head out to try a different area and as I walk to the bush edge, there they are, asleep in the paddock! 9 or 10 or the buggers.
Hummed and Harred for a bit on wether to shoot one or come back when they are in the bush, but I needed meat, so lay down and took a rest off a tree truck before putting a 120gr 6.5 projectile through a nice fat yearling doe.

Posts: 4215 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Shanks,
As I write this the morning outside is just superb. Sunny, bright, hardly any wind and the perfect temperature. Has me thinking I should be out somewhere, rifle in hand, just enjoying the mornings' beauty. But, stuck in lockdown, still. It's torture. Wifey ( an essential worker going out each day ) finds little jobs for me, supposedly to occupy my mind, but it only does so much.
Your little story gave me a lift. Thankyou.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1997 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Grant! Im heading out tonight in search of some problem animals. Ill try remember to take camera.

Posts: 4215 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went out tonight to deal to some paddock damaging piggies. Took along a helper and we watched a big valley system until close to dark when this guy came out chasing a sow. Took us some time to get over too them and by that time was another two boars hanging about. Idea was to shoot one each but the other good boar didnt offer a good shot chance after the first shot.
Anyway thats another one down and makes some 120 pigs shot in last 4 months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
120 pigs in 4 months! I thought our bears were bad. Good thing I don't have pigs, never get a crop through the year.
I've watched a couple corn fields with damage. One is a sow with 3 30 pound cubs, the other a big sow with 2 30 pound cubs. I put a shot in front of both mama bears, hope to drive them onto the neighbors fields. I know, not nice, but I don't want to have to kill the little ones too.
Another field to sit tonight, bound to be a lone bear in one I can get rid of and not feel bad after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah after the big lockdown last year the pig population just exploded with no hunters hunting them over a crucial period. Its taken alot to get them back under control and i have conservatively 100 acres of ground thats turned over like in the photo.
Since the first lockdown we have taken out close to 200.
Id rather have the bears I think.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:

I saw Top Predator's picture posted yesterday. How did James get the blood all over his neck? Did he stick his head inside to look around?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was in a shitty little creek and almost pitch black, so he gutted it and carried up to some flat ground to get a better spot for a photo or two.
Either that or he was looking for a new tinder profile pic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks,
Thanks for completing the report and I'm pleased for the success of both of you.
Got pics from James with his bloodied up neck. Think it kinda suits the grim expression of his face. Justified maybe as that Boar looks like it would have been a hefty carry.
Agree with you about the jump in pig numbers. Where I usually hunt numbers have been stable I think although they are shy animals as the land owner hunts them regularly. But last couple of trips I made I saw more than usual and expected. Got a looong way to go to catch up with your tally though. You must be chasing them frequently - good stuff !

Posts: 1997 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alot of it has just been spotlighting and numbers shooting. Not really much fun to be honest. But have to get numbers back to a manageable level.... Must be starting to win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
120 pigs in 4 months! I thought our bears were bad. Good thing I don't have pigs, never get a crop through the year.
I've watched a couple corn fields with damage. One is a sow with 3 30 pound cubs, the other a big sow with 2 30 pound cubs. I put a shot in front of both mama bears, hope to drive them onto the neighbors fields. I know, not nice, but I don't want to have to kill the little ones too.
Another field to sit tonight, bound to be a lone bear in one I can get rid of and not feel bad after.

Just seen the photos you sent me of the bear damage. I might have to rethink my preferences. Thats a hell of a lot of destroyed crop in a shot time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did another "night" last night. First up I had a 50gr GMX non toxic projectile TP wanted me to test on a fallow with my .223...... They worked emphatically. Deer and its lungs pictured. Shot was from 130 meters.

Then we hit the hills for the night on possums. Its tough country to hunt them in, all on foot and up and down steep gullies. But we shot about 55 for our efforts. Thats about 600 for the season between James and I.

The plucking job was getting a bit rough by the end, as fingers were getting bloody sore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job on the possums guys. And you also do a good thing by recovering fur. It's not an animal I like much. I'm usually very happy to just shoot them and leave for nature to break them down.
Is that Fallow hind reasonably fat or do my eye deceive me ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah she was in pretty good nick. I dont like eating skinny ones.

The fur is the incentive to get out and shoot them really. By the time Im finished for this year ill have shot $2000 dollars worth, which pays for a bit of my hunting. They are not buying right now, but the fur will sit there for a rainy day.