New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight's dinner
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Chital shanks slow cooked in beer. One of Scott Rea's recipes. Bloody beautiful it was.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Chital shanks slow cooked in beer. One of Scott Rea's recipes. Bloody beautiful it was.

Typical of those living upside down downunder.

It is not enough they drink beer, they cook their meat in it too!

Hope you enjoyed it mate! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Properly cooked by someone who knows how venison shanks are a delightful meal, tasting far better than they would appear to. I've only had them maybe three times, and not cooked in beer, but always remember how good they were.
Great pics Bakes. You make them look just great.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Properly cooked by someone who knows how venison shanks are a delightful meal, tasting far better than they would appear to. I've only had them maybe three times, and not cooked in beer, but always remember how good they were.
Great pics Bakes. You make them look just great.

They were not as dry as I was expecting. Bloody nice.

I had to go and buy a six pack of beer just for the meal Saeed as I don't drink the crap! rotflmo All is good however as my son will finish off the rest Big Grin

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might need that recipe Bakes. Looks good.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
pm me your email Shanks - I can send it to you

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
One thing I did Shanks was remove the meat, and run the liquid through the stab blender with a bit of corn flour, then reduced it. Makes a real nice sauce. I did also use two stubbies of beer as well as a can of crushed tomato's.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
YUM! tu2 Why don't you just post the recipe for all of us!? Big Grin

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zq70LMNes

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I envy you Bakes, I'm a big fan of braised shanks.

Vic's wife (Karoo Wild Safaris) did impala shanks one night that I could have eaten my weight of.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
easy enough to do - you can substitute lamb shanks for venison but you have to watch out for the love bites if you use aussie lamb

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
YUM! tu2 Why don't you just post the recipe for all of us!? Big Grin

I will save my friend Tony the hassle.

Go and shoot a deer.

Make sure it falls dead in a deep valley.

Get your son to carry it up for 3.7 kilometers, laughing all the way up, telling the poor kid, that you have done this half a million times - you are lying, of course.

Go home.

Skin it.

Hang it in the barn for 5 days, until a slight green tinge starts to form on it, and a good aroma smacks you in the face as you open the barn door.

Get a case of beer, put your choice of cut in, cook it for 10 hours, and eat.

Nothing like it.

Nothing to it.

Warms your sense of taste, and alcohol dependence! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping Damn, Saeed, you have a WAY WITH WORDS! rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bakes:

I was wondering why there wasn't
any meat on those bones.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
They just shrunk up a bit mate. Before shot below...excuse the quail Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
but you have to watch out for the love bites if you use aussie lamb

Did you learn that method when you hunted in Qld?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002