Find
Notify
Tools

Its here, now the tinkering begins
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy days. Should be fun times.
Will you handload ?
How many rounds in the magazine ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Three down I believe. Yes, I'm looking at getting back into loading, with the cost of ammo I'm going to have too. PPU's are $70, Winchesters up in the 90's and Federal is $130ish a box Eeker

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Three down I believe. Yes, I'm looking at getting back into loading, with the cost of ammo I'm going to have too. PPU's are $70, Winchesters up in the 90's and Federal is $130ish a box Eeker

WOW. Reloading is fun, especially for medium to larger bores.

Saw some Federal 375H&H at a gunshop recently, about $130 a box of 20! No thanks

Happy hunting and good shooting Bakes.

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Pretty quick. Deposit in August and rifle 6 weeks later. Good stuff. 9,3x62 is a great round! Thoughts on what scope ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
At the moment the scope off my 303

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If you want a scope to last long on your 9.3, Bakes, look for something small and/or old. The modern ones all have a mini-me suspended inside likely to bounce around under recoil - and the more complicated the scope, the more there is to bounce around.

Real Pecars and old, reticle-movement Kahles scopes did not work like that and usually last well. Of the modern stuff with constantly centred reticles, the Leupold FX 2.5x might be as good as any, or, if you must have a variable, a Swaro Z6 1-6x (or two, to be sure).

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
If you want a scope to last long on your 9.3, Bakes, look for something small and/or old. The modern ones all have a mini-me suspended inside likely to bounce around under recoil - and the more complicated the scope, the more there is to bounce around.

Real Pecars and old, reticle-movement Kahles scopes did not work like that and usually last well. Of the modern stuff with constantly centred reticles, the Leupold FX 2.5x might be as good as any, or, if you must have a variable, a Swaro Z6 1-6x (or two, to be sure).

Yeah I was looking at the Leupold. That'll be for next tax cheque Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I take an old M8 2.5x Compact in case the Nickel on my Zastava 9.3 ever fogs up. I've seen less tunnel vision in other Leupolds but Ray Atkinson reckons those are the toughest ones.

That said, he broke so many Leupolds on his Lott and .505 that they made him a special. By their claim that he would not break that one because the reticle was under the turrets, I glean it is reticle-movement - putting a reticle in the first focal plane on an image-movement scope would give more leverage to the erector tube, not less.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s a 9.3 x 62, not a .460 Weatherby. I’d be more concerned about the scope slipping in the rings than breaking a scope.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Everything's relative, Bushchook. Ray reckons the trouble begins with the 458 Lott but John Barsness mentioned the 300 Weatherby, 12-gauge rifled slugs and revolvers as destroying scopes after a few shots. Others cite airguns and Lead Sleds.

What I know is you are much more likely to get a broken erector set or spring where the entire guts ride the roller coaster than when the only thing that can move inside is a quarter-ounce reticle cell held in a verticle dovetail.