New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fallow Buck last night
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Katrhin and I took the young dog for a walk to overlook a clearing where we knew a buck was resident. Its a bit of a tricky spot due to wind and sits in a basin. We circled wide around it to come in from a high ridge that overlooked the spot and as soon as we got there, we saw him race across it to chase a couple of young Bucks. Unfortunately he got to the far end at about 350 meters, and with my little grendel I didnt want to shoot that far without a range finder to be exact on distance. Anyway he didnt give me much time as he chased the other bucks back into the bush.
I used the time to move into a better, closer position with better wind, and we sat away the evening hoping he'd come back. I was just starting to think we'd blown it, when a spiker showed up one end, then from the other out he came chasing a doe. I waited as he walked along the bush edge until he stopped, but sure enough there was a 2 inch thick dead wood close to where I wanted to hit him, that blocked part of his chest. I waited for him to step forward and eventually he did, and at 200 meters the little Amax projectile took him clean through the shoulders. He did not react like he was hit though and disappeared into the now black bush leaving me unsure if something had gone wrong?
We found him though, not far inside the bush edge- maybe 20 meters.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice buck!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking head bone Shanks. Congrats and thanks for the story. The buck looks as if he carries some fat.
Also, Kathrin takes a nice pic.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rack.

Am happy for you.

Dog looks thrilled huh?

You look like the headlights caught
you with your panties down though.

Hey, thanks for sharing with us.'

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking pup Shanks...oh nice deer Wink Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Good one Craig. I hate being in the pic too.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Solid buck from the photo ! Thanks for posting. Nice read too.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck Craig! Congratulations!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Good one Craig. I hate being in the pic too.....

Yep, think you probably understand. I live for my hunting and enjoy having a moment of my hunts, such as photos, but actually Im always a bit more reflectful than outright happy in the time after killing something. I cant make myself smile even when Im told to so have kind of given up trying and the face you see, is the one you get. Big Grin

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Nice looking head bone Shanks. Congrats and thanks for the story. The buck looks as if he carries some fat.
Also, Kathrin takes a nice pic.

Cheers Grant!
He was not what id call fat, but definitely better than a couple of cull bucks shot lately. Two I ended up using for dog food as even marinading didnt produce good results.
In all honesty ill probably mince this guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Great looking rack.

Am happy for you.

Dog looks thrilled huh?

You look like the headlights caught
you with your panties down though.

Hey, thanks for sharing with us.'

George

Yeah, my response to Muzza explains it, jeez imagine how bad it would have been If wed had to use the flash!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!

Are they all menil on the North Island or do you get some black and white ones?

Congrats!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely buck Shanks!
BWW Owing to recent illegal releases into the wild like the ones around my hunting block, you get all the colour varieties of Fallow. In the Blue Mountains of Otago they are nearly all black in my experience, as are the ones in the central Waikato. In the Bay of Plenty they were traditionally all Menil but now you get all colours. White ones don't survive long on public land.

Posts: 284 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah real mix of colours around here. More menil and common, but quite a few black.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Funny looking critter...
Nice Fallow though and looks like fine looking dog as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That is really cool.

At least where I lived in Germany they were all normal/menil.

The big station we hunted in Australia had a ton of white ones, but they didn't allow anyone to shoot them. The rancher said they were more cagy as they knew they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super cool hunt! I love seeing rutting Fallow bucks.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top notch. Looks like Jurassic Park for a hunt area.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
Top notch. Looks like Jurassic Park for a hunt area.

Shanks looks like a jurrassic possum in the headlights, but that is pretty standard West Coast , North Island of NZ forest type

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
What role does the dog play mate?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jocks 4. When we first got him I did a bit of work with him on finding shot game for me, but then introduced him to pheasants a bit early and he started getting too eager on deer.
We have just started using him on big game again now and other than just finding dead animals I have not done much with him, but am going to start using him as an indicating dog for a bit of bush hunting over the next few months.
He's learnt a bit more steadiness now.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
He will find more dead/hidden deer for you once you have him going good.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Keep on him and he will be a winner mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hes a really good dog. Picked up 50 odd ducks on weekend, and is a fantastic pheasant dog, pushing into the roughest shit blackberry to put up birds and will do it all day.
Its just taken a bit to get him to understand the difference between hunting pheasants and deer.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
That requires work,a good dog will know that today its deer we are after and ignore the other distractions. They do pick up on it after lots of work.
If hes eager as you point out he will set you a lot of deer mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep showing good signs all ready.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Too bad I can’t post pic of my Fallow from last Fall but it is my deal as I refuse to post any pics unless it is one two click otherwise it is too cumbersome to my taste
It’s Saeeds deal so I can’t complain

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Love the palmated antlers with the blood lines still visible; gives it a lot of character.

NZ is on my list...

Posts: 1242 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote