Tools

Interesting Group - your analysis?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I shot this group just yesterday @ 100.

It is a single six shot group.

After firing the 3rd round, I thought that maybe I pulled the 2nd round. So I fired the 4th, 5th and sixth.

Never saw this happened before. Figured you BR guys, do a lot more target analysis than I ever do.

Rifle is just a stock Browning X-bolt in 300 WSM, Barnes 168 TSXs, 66.5 grains of H4350.

Nothing unsual about the wind less than 7 mph. Probably waited a minute between shots.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Is this a new gun or load? Looks to me like something is loose and recoil from one shot moves POI for next shot. The usual suspects 1) loose stock screws, 2) Scope mounting is loose, 3) bad scope, 4) etc. I had a Mauser conversion .270 that nothing would fix this wandering. Had to send it down the road (actually gave it to my son in law :-)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1037 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Switch the scope out for one you know is okay.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like about an inch and a half six-shot group. If all the stuff Michael mentioned is fine and the bedding is okay, then it could be the load.

How does this rifle and load typical shoot?

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well after having shot many more loads in this rifle and identifying 5 loads that consistently shoot sub moa one of which is 1/2 moa, I think this was a) a load the rifle doesn't shoot very well and b) the consistent dispersion was a random event.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that if you were to shoot a 20 shot group with that load you likely wouldn’t see the separation. Sounds to me like your rifle just doesn’t like the load.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fired single shot or from a loaded magazine? The reason I ask is that my AR tended to do that when fired from a loaded magazine. It shot well but the pattern was there. I suspect it had to do with pressure on the bcg from the next round in the magazine? Just a thought.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, maybe your load is just a half grain or so off the node?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that you have a definite horizontal dispersion to the right as you shot the group. Even though you waited a minute between shots the barrel continued to heat up, especially with that chambering. A lot of friction/heat from that one. Could be walking. The vertical movement is another matter. Pull barrelled action and look for rub marks on the barrel from the forearm. Also check your scope and mounts. Might be a loose reticle. Might be trigger control. I have good bench days and bad days.

Posts: 3645 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Keep the front sling stud from touching the bag prior to firing and leave enough room so it doesn't touch on recoil as well. ?????

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been keeping records of numbered group bullet placement to use in inletting, and your group sure might be a slightly loose tang screw?? based on the seperation and movement of shots number 1,2,and 3..4 and 5 show it snuging up as the barrel heats up..Hope this helps, no guarentees however, playing with barrel vibes is tricky..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sequence is interesting, the deviations from 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 look like a pattern, to me.
If you hadn't called them from a cold barrel I'd wonder about barrel heating.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote