New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone punching paper with monometals?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If this has already been discussed and beat to death please forgive me as I was unable to find it. I am not a benchrest or a competitive shooter. However I have had the opportunity to talk with many. When we speak of bullets they all agree that monometals are great for hunting. Then I get inundated with technical jargon about why they don't work for paper punching or "long range" work. The most common statement is, "If they were so great, somebody would be winning matches with them." My response is always, "Have you tried them?" and the their answer has always been, "NO".

Why is this? Has anyone used monos and proved to themselves that they don't work as well?

I don't have a dog in this fight, it is just pure curiosity on my part.

Thanks

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only monometals I have used have been GS Custom's HV and FN bullets. The HV's have been in 375 H&H and have proven to be extremely accurate out to 200 yards, the longest range I had at the time. However, I do not consider the 375 H&H to be the optimum BR or competition cartridge. There are other match bullets that are used in BR circles by Fowler, Bruno, Berger etc. etc. that are not mono's but are still the gold standard (I may be a bit out of date here). I suspect one might have a problem putting such 22 and 6mm bullets in a lathe!
Just my 2 cents,
Peter.
Edit: I have also used CEB's in my 500NE! Also probably not a BR or target caliber.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great BR jacketed lead core bullets. If you are speaking of lathe turned bullets, they aren't competition competitive.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
IIRC, about 15 years ago Barnes ran an ad touting a 1,000 yard record that had been shot with their monometals in a 50BMG.

I might be misremembering.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Sometimes my memory surprises me....

https://groups.google.com/foru...rec.guns/qeLXW8wOg7o

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ecord-at-1000-yards/

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
To the best of my.knowledge, there are 3 reasons competitive shooters shoot lead core bullets.
1, cost
2, ballistic coeficent
3, reduced damage to steel targets.

And 4th . If they are at a place where lead bullets are not allowed.

Because bullets rely on both weight And shape to gain ballistic coefficency But rifle barrels have a set twist. A mono metal bullet that will obturate , ie copper or brass has to be longer than a lead core bullet of the same caliber and weight.
If say you are shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor, the standard twist for 140 gr bullets is 1 in 8" for the standard A-Max, Berger VLD, 142 SMK ect. If say CEB made a 140 gr solid VLD bt target bullet it would require a 1 in 7" or faster twist.
Not many 1 in 7 twist match grade 6.5 barrels out there.
I went thru this mental and verbal exercise last year.
Just can't get the bc without the weight and if you get the weight your twist is too slow.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote