New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope ring lapping rig?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is someone prepared to lend me their scope ring lapping set up? I have one rifle (300WM) that consistently causes the rings to slip with one (quick release) set of rings. When I took it hunting I replaced the scope and rings before I left, but I would like to put it back on. Alternatively, suggestions as to how to fix this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's and midway sell them, they're not that expensive. If you've never used them you need to read the instructions anyway.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS> I've fixed slipping scopes on heavy recoiling rifles before by cutting a strip of typing or computer paper slightly smaller than the lower ring, about 1 and 1/2" long and 1/2" wide, and placing on the lower ring underneath the scope. I've also tried rosin, but it was not succesful for me.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THERES LAPPING AND REAMING. LAPPING DOES THE BOTTOM ONLY AND REAMING DOES BOTH. I DO NOT THINK REAMING IS A FIRST TIME SUCCESS .IT IS DIFFICULT. THIS IS DONE TO GET THE RINGS ROUND PRIMARILY BUT WILL HELP YOU TOO. SINCLAIR INTL. OR BROWNELLS.

Posts: 54 | Location: georgia | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
There's something called a gunsmith that might hep ya.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote