New
Find
Notify
Tools

What size bullseye
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a certain size bullseye that you people use for say, 400 yard shooting? Just wondering. Thanks!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the sights! Open sights requires a much larger "black" than optics, and then it depends on the magnification. I assume you mean "black' rather than "bullseye". With higher magnification also comes mirage, although this may not be a factor at 400 yards.
With a decent scope I would use something like an 8" or 10" black.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOPS! Yes it is actually a 3-12 Burris EER.

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For open or "iron" sights the black is between 6 and 7 Minutes of Angle.
The aiming black for a 200 yd NRA high power target measures just under 13". The 300 yd is just under 19". The 1000 yd is just under 44".
This should give you an idea.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Try GunnersDen.com for targets.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
The aiming black for a 200 yd NRA high power target measures just under 13". The 300 yd is just under 19". The 1000 yd is just under 44".

Not to be a nit picker, but they are exactly those dimensions. And the 600 yard target's black is exactly 36 inches.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea I taped measured the targets just before I posted so as not to miss the sizes. But I did not want to seem to be "all knowing" when I posted the dimensions.
I keep 200 and 300 repair centers on hand for personal use/practice. And I am lucky enough to have a 1000 yd full target as a wall decoration in my garage. Makes for a great conversation starter with visitors.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one of the original 1000 yard military "C" targets on his garage wall. Dating back to the early 1900's it was 6 feet high and 10 feet wide. The 20-inch V-ring was inside the 36-inch 5 ring as the aiming bullseye. Then the 4-ring was 54 inches and the 3-square was 72-inches square. On each side was a 24 x 72-inch 2-point section oft times called the "wind bucket." Back when the 150-gr. bullet was all folks used in the 1903 Springfields for 1000-yard matches, a strong wind would blow them little pills quite a bit but they would still hit paper.

In 1919(?) when the M2 172-grain boattail long range machine gun bullet went into production at the arsenals, competitors quickly learned these deflected quite a bit less than the 150-gr. flat base bullet did. So they got rid of the 2 x 6 foot wings then were able to put more firing points on firing lines with the targets now only 6 feet wide.

In 1971, the NRA finally got rid of the 70-some year old C target and replaced it with the LR decimal target we use today.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote