Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you pay to shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I pay $18 to shoot at an outdoor range, 50,100,200 and a line for handguns and 22.

Question:
What do you pay to shoot at an outdoor range. If you have your own place, don't vote and I'm jealous.

Choices:
Under <$5
$5-10
$10-20
more

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
every time?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Yes, every time.

I'm very lucky in one respect, I live 2 blocks from my pistol range but rifle is 1+hr drive. We usually don't get pushed off the range but this year so far the place is packed on the weekends. There were people waiting for a bench to free up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nuthin
but our rifle range only goes to 300 yds.
and we only have 6 pistol bay's.
plus a 22 range
and a 300 meter silhouette range.
all covered, and the road is plowed in the winter
you can pony up 20 bucks a year to become a member or make a donation.
or not.
it is only a mile from my place to the range or 10 miles to a mountain back-stop.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We can shoot to 100 yards at our place but we also pay to go to a range that goes out to 600. It's a club with a $40 annual membership.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really glad I live in Idaho...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richj how far are you from cherry ridge in NJ?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm in Queens so about 1:45

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you been there? Not a bad range it gets busy in the morning but is usually quite in the afternoons or weekdays.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am $200 for the year. Plinking, 50,100 and 300 yards. Shotgun (trap machine), archery and some other pistol stuff.

I shoot only on weekdays when work is quite. It is normally empty with an occasional range officer.

Nice set up.

I would buy land and build my own but in Florida maintaining property is a bitch.

Just mowing the range would be a full time job.

When I was in NYC I shot sometimes in New Haven to sight in guns.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the investment potential, which is not to be underrated, $200 a year is dirt cheap compared to building and maintaining a range(s).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Except for the investment potential, which is not to be underrated, $200 a year is dirt cheap compared to building and maintaining a range(s).

+1

Florida has great property and gun rights for building a range and terrible geography and terrain.

Buying property to build a shooting range just makes no economic sense in florida.

Florida short of the congo or the amazon has the most evasive natural habitat.

I am envious of people in Arizona and Nevada with elevation and land for shooting ranges.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Side note

Very few gun ranges in florida allow 50 cal or machine gun shooting.

Same time south florida is full of high end guns shops selling very high end military style guns.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I pay $95 a year collectivly to be part of two ranges.

Which isn't super smart since I live in the desert surrounded by BLM, and I can dump my gong and go to town as long as I get set up in a safe area.

What I like about it, is that both ranges have a ton of steel gongs out to about 600, and if one is full I can hit up the other one.

The best area to shoot on BLM often has dirt bike traffic, so some times I end up shooting on the range if I see a bunch of dirt bikes out where I want to shoot.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our gun club in Crosby is $150.00 per year for unlimited use.

200 yard berm for 100 and 200 yard, 400 yard berm for 300 and 400 yard, and 600 yard berm for 500 and 600 yard shooting with 3) 50 yard pistol bays and a 5 acre informal shotgun area....bring your own traps.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The range that I belong costs $90 per year; notwithstanding the deposit to join, for me that comes to about $4 each time I go to shoot.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The OP seemed to be about range costs when one was not a member. I joined a local range precisely because, being a tight wad, I knew that if I was a member I would make damn sure I used my membership! So, I shoot once a week!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still just gas money, and thousand of square miles of Fed/State owned grasslands where I can shoot for just the cost of that gas money.

Which I note, has gone up nearly forty-cents a gallon, just in time for Rockchuck season. Bastards...

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I am a (board) member of a pistol club, indoor 50ft range, $225 a year (cheapest in NYC).

Was thinking more of rifle shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our range is $10.00 per year. It is run by the county.

It has a 100 yard range with several benches under a roof. The last time I was there, it looked like they are putting in a pistol range next to the rifle range.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$275/year plus 15 work hours for covered firing line with 7 yd berms and plates, 25/50/75/100 target stands over about 20 benches, trap field (additional $2.50/round), 20 target archery range plus 3D archery course throughout part of the 100acre property.

Public ranges (privately owned, no memberships) run around $30/day during the week, and some ungodly hourly amount on the weekends. Hence why I joined a private club...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, Cherry ridge has 100,200 and 300 yard ranges. There is also the on in monroe or chester NY that is a club range. That one has a skeet field.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been to the Brookwood club in Rockhill, NY.

Small 100,200 yd range and 1 trap field.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the one I was thinking about. http://www.monroechestersportsmen.org/

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I pay $150 a year for a local club, life membership is $2200. Almost 24/7 indoor range, 0800 to sunset for outdoor range. Clays are $5 for a round of 25.

I also pay $100 a year for a range on base, they are $10 an hour. If you shoot any portion of an hour it is $10 also. $100 is unlimited time.

There is an outdoor rifle range that is about $18 an hour. I don't shoot there.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not sure I'd go from NYC to NJ with a gun of any kind.

quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
This is the one I was thinking about. http://www.monroechestersportsmen.org/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the frying pan to the fire? The club in the link is in chester NY. Off of 17m I think.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
oups I didn't open the link

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The annual dues to the little club in my home town is $20.00 and there is no day fee. That range goes to 565 yards. I remain a member there simply for the distance as at my range at my house I can only reach 150 yards.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My little range is 800 yards, has 3 benches and a warm-up reloading shack. Steel targets and target boards all the way out. Can shoot from inside if necessary, though that never seems to be needed. The property makes enough to pay the taxes, pay the membership at the club range and keep me in gunpowder, so I suppose I'm getting paid to go shooting. True to your wishes I didn't vote.

The club range that I belong to is 150 a year, plus 8 bucks a family member, and has large bore to 300, small bore and handgun. Indoor handgun is more, and handgun and rim-fire silhouette is another 140.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am really glad I live in Idaho...

Do we have an emoji for envy? When we lived in Logan, there was a little informal range two miles from the house and I could go shoot any time I felt so inspired. It has since been closed down, some nitwit built houses on the field below (which was also winter range for about a hundred mule deer).

For awhile I was a member here at the Inland range, then a dingbat developer went to court and closed it down (then didn't build on his newly acquired land anyway). That was $50 a year and $5 a trip, which wasn't bad for here.

Now I'm on a waiting list for another club, probably a couple more years before enough guys move or quit. That will be a little more than Inland was, but no per-trip money. Same distance, about 25 miles. Meanwhile I shoot at their rimfire benchrest matches and help with cleanup and maintenance when I'm there.

There are a few public ranges I've noticed between here and Wyoming, places to stop and check telescope sights along the way.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pay $110/year for the wife & I together. 100 &200 yd rifle, pistol range, skeet & trap range lighted. rifle & pistol is covered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pay around $200 a year can shoot without gen public on Mon and Tuesdays xcept when cops take over the range.

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
I belong to The Illinois State Rifle Association Range near Kanakee, 13 ranges out to 300 Yards plus an area to shoot clay pigeons and archery. Open 365, you get an entry pass and shooting 8am till dark. The dues are 150 for me with no work hours since I am considered senior younget pay 200 plus 5 work hours
www.ISRA.org

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I pay $50/year for club membership on a 1,000 yard range that has target pits.

Usually I shoot on a cattle ranch/private range with firing points out to 400 yards that I pay for with labor during branding roundups.

I also shoot coyotes and ground squirrels for the rancher because I'm a nice guy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also live in the NYC Area. I can't find anything within a 4 hour drive that goes past 200 yards.

Anyone know of anything nearby in PA, Ct, or NJ?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
I also live in the NYC Area. I can't find anything within a 4 hour drive that goes past 200 yards.

Anyone know of anything nearby in PA, Ct, or NJ?

Frank,

Check out Cherry Ridge Range in Highland Lakes, NJ. It's a long haul from Howard Beach, but worth it. (Lincoln Tunnel>Route 3 West>Route 46 West>Route 23 North to Canistear Road).

You could shoot out to 300yds. there. They also have separate archery, rimfire, handgun (out to 100yds.), and rifle (also 100yds.) ranges.

It was $100/year back when I lived in the NYC area.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I'm lucky to have a club within a 20 minute drive. $150 a year dues with unlimited use of the ranges. 100 yd. outdoor covered rifle range, 25 yd outdoor pistol range, trap range with four traps, outdoor and indoor archery ranges and two 25 yd indoor pistol ranges.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot at Boulder Rifle & Pistol Club.

Available 24 hours a day for Members.

Trap & skeet range, individual shooting bays (25-200yds., silhouette range out to 970yds., 200/300/600/1000yds. high-power rifle range.

$75/year for family membership.

The SHOT Show has their demo shoots there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Well I took the plunge so instead of $150 a year, I'm paying for the life membership I should have got when it was $1400.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote