THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    boots Obermeyer 5r barrel: how did he stamp his barrels?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

boots Obermeyer 5r barrel: how did he stamp his barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at a Win m70 that the owner states it has 5r rifling (308 Win), and "it may be made by Boots Obermeyer" but the barrel is not stamped with any name, or chambering. The gun is in the midwest. Boots Obermeyer is from Wisconsin.

How did Boots Obermeyer stamp his barrels? With his name/company? Chambering or caliber? Or did he NOT stamp his name on barrels he made?

I have seen pictures of the muzzle of the rifle, and it indeed looks like 5r rifling. Just curious if there is a way to definitively identify a Boots Obermeyer-made barrel.

Pictures of his stamping would be great If he stamped them), if you have one to share.

Thank you in advance for your input.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a 308 CBC chambered by Wayne Schartz (spelling) and he said he used an Obermeyer barrel. That was mid to late 70's. Only thing on the barrel was the caliber. I've often wondered the same thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makers always stamp the breech end of the blank with their mark and rifling and twist information. This is almost always lost when the barrel is chambered. You'll have to take the sellers word for it being an Obermeyer barrel.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Makers always stamp the breech end of the blank with their mark and rifling and twist information. This is almost always lost when the barrel is chambered. You'll have to take the sellers word for it being an Obermeyer barrel.

Yes Sir!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Haugh used Obermeyer barrels..I owned 3 that he built, all 3 of those barrels were as good or better than anything I have ever shot, they just cut a hole, but Haugh rifles have a habit of doing that anyway//..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote