New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a shooting range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay here's the deal. Friend of mine owns 500 plus acres here near Fair Grove, MO and he's wanting it to make some money. He's considering building a shooting range and he nor I have ever built one and we were needing some tips, ideas, contacts, ect. on what we should do, shouldn't do, things to look out for, and all the obvious stuff that somehow slips your mind. He's got room for at least a 600 yard range and might have room for a tad longer one. Its in bottome ground which has flooded in the past but hey, there aren't too many places around here that haven't flooded some time or another in the last few years!! Let the info and ideas fly fellers.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest mistake, that I have seen, is the direction of fire. By that I mean, firing from East to West or, vice-versa. One old range, in central Pa., once owned by the Hart family and later by Doc Palmisano (one of the P's in PPC) was oriented so you fired due East. First couple of relays, early in the morning, were killer with that sun shining directly into your scope.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NRA has a range dept. that can give you a lot of help. They also hold seminars about 4 times a year that cover all aspects of range development and produce a book titled The NRA Range Source Book, which is a guide to planning and construction of shooting ranges. If desired The NRA will send a range technical team advisor to meet with you on your property and prepare a written report. The cost of this is extremely modest, just enough to cover expenses.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
A perfect range would be aiming north. Sun is generally on you back. The range at Dam Neck, Virginia Beach, is oriented east to shoot out over the ocean but the sun is killer before 0830 in May. As much as I'd like to see a range open I'll warn you that insurance is a killer. A trap and skeet range in Ohio said they pay an extra $800 a month (2003) to run a rifle range on their property. I'm not sure how much it is now.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
A perfect range would be aiming north. Sun is generally on you back. The range at Dam Neck, Virginia Beach, is oriented east to shoot out over the ocean but the sun is killer before 0830 in May. As much as I'd like to see a range open I'll warn you that insurance is a killer. A trap and skeet range in Ohio said they pay an extra $800 a month (2003) to run a rifle range on their property. I'm not sure how much it is now.

Fortunately Sam, the area we are considering for the shooting stations is in a semi-protected draw or hollow and it opens up to the north into a fairly large flat bottom land. We would be shooting pretty much due north to slightly NE. The line would have hopefully 8 or so covered benches with maybe even computer monitored cameras placed at the target area for easy viewing right from the bench. There is power and water on site already.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While i agree that if possible a north facing range is preferable, it is a very insignificant part of new range construction. Contacting The NRA for some expert advice will save you thousands in the long run.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get insurence through the NRA as well. I am a member of a private club/range and we take advantage of the NRA services very frequently. There are even grants available but I believe all shooters need to be NRA members to qulify.

Posts: 497 | Location: Edgewood, Texas | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
If the idea is to make money, I don't know that a range is a great idea these days. Like someone posted, the insurance could be a killer. If you make it public, what if some idiot fires some over the backstop or worse, shoots himself or somebody ("Gosh, I thought it was empty!"). If private will there be enough interest in your area. What kind of permits, restrictions, and local "hoops" will you have to go thru.

How about a golf course or condos instead?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
swampshooter,

I can assume by your post that you have not ever shot during the day on a range that has the impact area facing any direction but north.

IF, you have a range that faces east, no one will do well before 11am.

IF, it faces west, no one will do well after 2pm.

If it faces south, it will be unusable from October thru March.

Facing Due North or as close as possible is the second most important piece of the puzzle. It comes right after a safe impact area.

I have shot more than a dozen different rifle ranges in silhouette and HBR in the past couple years. They all face north.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Cobrajet,

Your direction for the range sounds perfect. I am in SW Mo. also and given the prevailing wind from the SW as well as the sun arc,then N to NE will be great.

I have a private range that faces ENE and wish it were just a little more Northerly.

I might be tempted to take a rifle out there before building the range at different times of day and seeing how the sun and wind affects it.

Down in the bottom you may have a wind effect off the hills also to consider.

Usually our wind picks up after 9 a.m. and by then the sun is in the SE and would light up the target pretty well of a NE or North orientation while not shining in the scope.

Given all the gear we tend to pack up to the bench, I think it would be good to have a short distance from the parking area to the bench.

The Missouri dept of conservation has a very good range just north of Springfield that might be worth a trip to see if you have not been there.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI
NRA just posted their schedule for their Range Development and Operations Conferences.
Dates listed were
March 14 thru 18
May 2 thru 6
Aug 29 thru Sept 2
If you are serious about the range this would be a great seminar to attend.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom Land and lead = liability... lead leaching into water table... you could EASILY be stopped from using the range SHORTLY after opening by ANY tree hugger group with some lefty lawyers in tow.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote