New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to set your oal perfectly...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I do not think I have mentioned this before.

There is an absolutely perfect way to set your cartridge oal with the ogive just touching the lands.

In this case, the 338 LM. Take a fired case, and drill a 1/4" hole thru the primer pocket. Thread it 1/4x28. DO NOT resize the fired case.

Slip a bullet just into the case mouth, and then thread a 1/4" by 2 1/2" bolt thru the back.

For reasons I will explain at the end, the hex head** is the perfect set up.

As you turn the bolt, it will contact the base of the bullet, and gently begin to move it forward.

Remove the bolt, and slip the round into the chamber. With slight pressure the bullet will move forward into the chamber, and then gently touch the origin of rifling. Stop as soon as you feel it touch.

You have the bolt threaded into the back, so it cannot move either direction.

You now have a place to begin with the seating die. Screw the stem out, and place the round, bolt in place, into the shell holder and run the dummy into the seating die. Run the seating stem down until it gently touches the tip of the bullet.

You are now at zero point.

Set the dummy aside, and work from there; choosing to either jump or jam.

Rich

** the reason to use a headless hex head is so you can make a fixed ogive dummy. The end result is making a semi-permanent tool. Measure the excess length protruding from the base of the case. Unscrew it, and cut that amount off of the front. You should have an exact length for that bullet. Obviously, the only reason to ever unscrew the bolt is to try a very different bullet profile. IE, from spitzer to round nose.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite a solution, Rich. I would like to set up my 280 AI handloads to be close to the lands, but did not have a way to measure it. I used an RCBS Precision Mic on my 308, but don't think they make one for the 280. Will have to try this out.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Neco tool.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stoney Pont system accomplishes this measurement, now owned, soled by Brownells I believe.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
Stoney Pont system accomplishes this measurement, now owned, soled by Brownells I believe.

Your correct. I gave mine away. You won't get a true reading without using one of your own fireformed cases.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, how do you insert the cartridge with a screw sticking out of the head into the shell holder?

I do use such a set up, a 10-32 machine screw threaded into the drilled out once fired case- but then I use a comparator & caliper to measure the OAL to the ogive.

I then back out the seater stem far enough to exceed the desired OAL and by trial and error adjust until the round is at the desired OAL to the ogive using the caliper and comparator.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I reread the whole thing- still- sounds like a lot of effort to make a one-use tool.

I like my adjustable version- no need to insert it into my micrometer seater/die.

For me, it is the measurement that is important- and I have several guns I use it in.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from the Stoney Point system, use a Moe's gauge with .001" increments on the fired case and then apply the appropriate collar on the datum line and read the dial caliper. Using the caliper is not necessary with the Moe's gauge to tell you where to set back the shoulder on the case. Seemingly a lot of folks use a Wilson or Lee case gauge and for me that is merely "eye balling" with no real measurement to rely on. For more precision bolt rifles am careful in resizing brass to match the chamber, but for M14 not so much for those things "eat" brass after some 3-4 loadings, if not less.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use the Sinclair "bullet depth" checking rod?

Mine has worked well, for me, for many years.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch is, of course, correct. In a bolt rifle, if there is any play, misalignment, or gap between the boltface and the cartridge upon bolt closure, you are, at best, getting a close guess. That is why fireformed brass must be used in the rifle it was fireformed for.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course Butch is correct, but unless you're engaged in benchrest competition the accuracy loss incurred by using the Stoney Point cartridges vs. your own fire formed cases is totally inconsequential. Shooting F-Class long range I wasn't able to notice any difference, and haven't noticed any difference in my varmint rifle.
PS. IIRC Stoney Point was bought out by Hornady, not Nosler.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hornady bought Stoney Point.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Of course Butch is correct, but unless you're engaged in benchrest competition the accuracy loss incurred by using the Stoney Point cartridges vs. your own fire formed cases is totally inconsequential. Shooting F-Class long range I wasn't able to notice any difference, and haven't noticed any difference in my varmint rifle.
PS. IIRC Stoney Point was bought out by Hornady, not Nosler.

I shot five 1000 yard screamer groups a few years ago using Stoney Pt/Hornady tools to set seating depth. Yes, the gauge is off by the headspace amount, but that is irrelevant. All we need is a reference point and from that we find the best seating depth. Does it really matter if what we thought was .020 off the lands was really .023? Or if what we thought was a .010 jam was .013? My experience says it doesn't.

Having said that, I absolutely agree the way to get a very accurate seating depth is by building your own tool with a fired. However, even with that we'd be off by the amount the brass springs back......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My tool, while primitive by a machinist's standards, works very well, and can be reused for any rifle chambered in the same cartridge.

I used mine, then my gunsmith measured it, and chased the origin of rifling out the difference.
Then, I used dykem red on a loaded round, and got four almost perfectly square marks around the circumference when the origin of rifling began.

I am not there yet, shooting the 1000yd or longer matches, but I did hit a steel plate 12" wide by 18" tall seven times out of the last ten shots at a bit past 1000yds. My fancy Sinclair Competition Rest came today. Who'da thunk the usps delivered on Sundays!

I also got my M5 in the mail yesterday. Precision, 2016-style, is here.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Anyone use the Sinclair "bullet depth" checking rod?

Mine has worked well, for me, for many years.

That's what I've been using for about 25 years now and it works like a charm.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Sinclair version for 20 plus years. I know it, and it works for me.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote