New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Little Benchrest History
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acquired an early 1950s "bag gun" built on a Rock Island '03 Springfield. It was built by L.R. Wallack in Mayfield, NY. Wallack was an early benchrest champion and writer. It's chambered in another local piece of history, the .219 Donaldson Wasp. The stock is laminated from five layers of Birdseye maple. Weight is about 15-1/2 pounds.

Wallack worked in Mayfield from about '51 to '58, and wrote a number of books on rifle accuracy and design. This gun was probably used at Pine Tree Rifle Club back in the day when it was one of the founding sites of benchrest competition. I've seen many photos taken there that include such notables as Warren Page, Harvey Donaldson, Townsend Whelen, the Hart brothers, and Mike Walker from Remington.

Posts: 275 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic rig. A neat piece of history.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a relic for sure, it deserves a lot of respect !! Looks like many from the Johnstown matches !

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This one was a little later. The stock is solid fiberglas. I bought it at a Nationals from a guy who was tired of carrying the heavy sucker around. Dwight Scott spent quite a bit of time on the action and I did some reshaping on the stock. Then I shot it in competition against rail guns.

This is the single most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote