THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Savage PTA in Eliseo CSS chassis Suitable for Palma/F-TR?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage PTA in Eliseo CSS chassis Suitable for Palma/F-TR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple of hunting rifles being built but when they are finished and I get back from Afghanistan in the fall I want to get into Palma and F-TR. Has anyone used the Savage Target action for a build? More specifically has anyone mated it to an Eliseo CSS chassis? The goal is to have a switchbarrel 1-8" .243Win for varmints/low-recoil practice and a 1-10" .308Win for competitions. Any guidance would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm, as no one has answered, let me try. Why not just get a Savage F/TR rifle to begin with and try it out? This will not work for Palma as they do not allow bipods or front rests, plus I thought that Palma was shot with open, not optical sights. I always thought of them as two different games, but I could be wrong.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the factory guns but want to have one gun that will make weight for either discipline and allow for adjustment for both. I will use a Palma contour on both barrels. I think the Eliseo chassis offers that and it is a similar feel to guns I shoot at work. For F-TR I'll remove the irons and mount the scope and bipod. For Palma I'll shoot irons, hand stop, and sling. I can put the .243 barrel on and shoot either configuration for low recoil practice. My main goal is just to set up a gun similar to what I shoot now, with lower recoil, and the ability to shoot competitively.

I've shot some Savage guns and like them fine. I have a custom 210F slug gun. I did a lot of load development for a buddy's varmint gun built on a PTA. I just wondered if anyone had used them for comps other than Team Savage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gentleman in another state which I cannot at the moment recall, used a Savage to win the heavy varmint IBS 200 yard class at a range I can also not now recall. This result was posted in Precision Shooting, the semi official IBS magazine. I remember it because I won an argument over Savage target actions because of the post in the mag. I have won a non-sanctioned BR score match using a Savage target action with a 30 BR chambering in a Shilen barrel. Team Savage's F-class results are nothing to be sneezed at, either. BUT as with any SERIOUS match rifle -- these were built to compete in one application only. The nice thing about the Savage offering and work by a great smith like Fred Moreo at SSS is that you can afford to have more than one rifle built--or maybe one barreled action and two stocks for different apps?

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote