New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reamers: Buying VS...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past I have usually bought reamers for rifle projects, two reamer sets, and made dies for non-standard cartridges.

I am assembling the pieces and parts to build a LR 6mm Dasher. The plan is to acquire a shot out 6PPC barrel, got one from Good Guy Butch Lambert; and use it to fire form my BR brass. The new 32" Bartlein barrel will be chambered with the same reamer. As accuracy begins to deteriorate, serious competitors cut two inches off the back and rechamber.

With that in mind, and understanding that I would not be the only one the gunsmith would barrel for a customer, does it make sense to just buy my own to insure the exact chamber I want?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

You have way more experience at this than I but when I built my second 1K BR rifle I did buy my own reamer from Dave Kiff. I shot five screamer groups with that rifle in about a year.

Since I retired from the USAF right after that and moved away from a close 1000 yd range I did not have another another 1K BR rifle built, but I did use the reamer for my favorite deer rifle of all time, a 7.5 lb (scoped) 300 WSM on a SS M-70 Classic. I do have to turn necks for the deer rifle but given it doesn't get shot a lot that's fine. The deer rifle is very accurate and I did make a clean 435 yd kill with it last year off an improvised field rest.

My point with all that is if the reamer is in a caliber you plan to shoot a lot, I think it's worth the investment.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all respects the reamer is a pretty small cost in the whole scheme of a custom rifle build.

And by spec'ing your own reamer you get exactly what you want.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you gentlemen are absolutely correct.

I really like the 6mm Dasher, the more I read about it and see match results from as far out as 1000 yards.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see a Dasher in my future as well......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dasher is a neat cartrige......but if I where building something for 1k, I'd do a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Lapua is getting ready to do brass.....that 6.5 BC beats the wind better than a long 6mm....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True and the 30 cals are better than the 6.5s and 7s and the 338s even better. However, it's not the ultra high BC bullets that win competitions. When I shot 1k BR 10 years ago the 300 WSM was popular with 210 grain Bergers. My rifle didn't like those preferring the 220 Matchkings (.629 BC) instead. While I did well with it guys starting shooting some amazing groups with a 187 grain Bib bullet with only about a .550 BC. Now the 6mms seem to be the standard.

The reason is the shorter lower BC bullets are less fussy to load for and end up making smaller groups. Typically a 1000 yd BR shooter will shoot all five or ten shots as fast as they can to keep it in the same wind condition. Realize this comes after a 2.5 - 3 minute sighted period where they get to find zero. It doesn't really matter much to the group size if it takes a couple more clicks of windage to get on target.

Now a long range hunting scenario is completely different. Though accuracy requirements aren't as high we don't get sighter shots to figure out the wind. We make our best guess and use an ultra-high BC bullet to compensate for errors in our estimation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

perhaps, but John Whidden just won at the 1K nationals with a spec dimension 243 Win.

The Dasher is capable of pushing the 105/108gr Berger over 3000fps, and the G7 of .278 is rather impressive.

I found a complete Stolle Kodiak in this cartridge for $1500 a couple weeks ago. I will confess, it did influence my decision.

I already have a 6,5-284 on an OM 70.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what a 6mm dasher is, but yes, buy the reamer to your specs. I suspect is might be a companion to the 7mm Prancer, and the 8mm Donder.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STOP THAT!!!

The 6mm Dasher is formed out of 6BR brass, preferably LAPUA by seating the bullet long, and creating a "jam" fit into the origin or rifling.
The shoulder is moved forward approximately 2/10ths of an inch, and a 40-degree should is formed. The case capacity is increased to about 41 grains, and it will push the 105/108gr bullets over 3000fps. Stays supersonic a bit past 1000 yards, and the bullet G7 BC is .278. The 185gr 308 caliber bullet in used in the 300 WM's 1000yd loading has a G7 of .291 and about the same MV. Half the recoil for the Dasher VS 300 WM.

Want an education? Go to www.accurateshooter.com and check the Dasher stats out.

It has probably set more 600/1000yd records in the past ten years than everything else combined.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect is might be a companion to the 7mm Prancer, and the 8mm Donder.

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

you need to stop that! You are only encouraging him, and it's going to be a long winter as it is...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it's funny, were it me I'd custom the reamer and call it 6mmTJ Blitzen!!!!

Just sayin, I'm sure Kiff'd get a kick out of that.

Order it in December, it should seasonal!