Find
Notify
Tools

AR upper for Long Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
What length barrel and twist rate for 600-1000 yards with a .223?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Since you will be shooting longer bullets go with a 1:8 twist and velocity will be important to keep wind drift to a minimum go with the longest heavy barrel you can handle.

If you were shooting at closer range I would suggest a shorter barrel but those small, light bullets get blown around by even light winds.

Paul

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, get a Stag 6H upper. 1 in 8 twist, and 24" heavy match barrel, the combination is guaranteed to shoot half moa. The one I have is so accurate it is just boring...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To keep my guys at the highest level of proficiency I keep them shooting matches with our work rifles which are 20" .308Wins and 24" 300Win Mags.

That said, they are deployed right now and I am at home. I only own one "tactical" rifle and it is a Barnes Precision 16", 1-8", chambered for .223 Wylde. I have been shooting DMR matches where the long targets are 600m. That combo with 75-77gr bullets is just fine. I placed 15 out of 73 at the last match where most guys were shooting .308Win (and the rules allowed for up to .300WM).

On Sunday I took that rifle out to the 1000yds KD range on post and didn't get a single round on paper. I only get 2544fps (ES 10fps, SD 5fps) so I am dropping through trans-sonic around 800yds and am sub-sonic by 1000yds. I am going to try again on the 24th. I didn't have any issues with the .308Win prone rifle that day.

If you are going to do try to take it past 600yds with any regularity I would go 20" or longer and I would plan on single loading 80-90gr VLDs. When I talked to my buddy about building a .223 Rem Palma rifle for cheaper practice he said he tried that and it was an exercise in frustration. So, I stuck with .308 and based on my last .223 outing I would say he is right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Rusty, get a Stag 6H upper. 1 in 8 twist, and 24" heavy match barrel, the combination is guaranteed to shoot half moa. The one I have is so accurate it is just boring...

I just purchased a lefty Super Varmiter which is the same upper, just left handed. Could you please pass along some loading details of your most accurate loads?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it will shoot in every barrel but by two favorite loads will shoot .5MOA or better in the last four rifles I have shot them in. I always use either a 69gr Nosler Custom Competition or a 75gr Hornady BTHP over RL15.

The best one out of this barrel so far is the 69gr bullet:

The 75gr Hornady's shoot a less impressive .5-.6MOA with regularity but past 300m are my go to bullet.