Find
Notify
Tools

Technical Rifle Tuning Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I have been working on locating accuracy nodes and working up a load using conventional bench-rest hardware (front rest and rear bag) for a 9 lb. hunting rifle. I realize that my point of impact may shift when I bolt on a hunting bipod - but was wondering if the actual tune of the rifle and load change as well?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't noticed that the tune of the gun/load changes so much as the gun tends to impact differently from different mediums. Like bipod off concrete bench vs bipod on sand. I think it has to do with how you can load the bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna say no. Not the harmonics anyway. Cause more often than not, the folks that say they get POI changes when they put on a bipod are mounting the rifle differently than when they are shooting off bags. I say that based on having put bipods on and off several different rifles without a change in POI.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that if the POI changes when going from a presumably (sorta) soft front sand bag to a bipod, then the barrel is not isolated or cushioned from changes in harmonics caused by contact with the stock. This is assuming that the forend was stable during the sandbag phase--which is questionable in most cases when the shooter has not used a benchrest adapter on a sporter stock---or even more rare--a front sanbag that REALLY conforms to the sporter contour, and is filled to the proper level, being not too hard, or soft, which can result in various degrees of vertical stringing.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote