THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Lightweight accurate barrel: Carbon wrapped?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight accurate barrel: Carbon wrapped?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received a Kelbys Stolle Atlas action after a six month wait. It is a repeater, left bolt with left ejection. I want to build a .308 hunting rifle that is accurate and light weight. I know, those terms should not be used in the same sentence but I'd like to try. I have a Bansers synthetic stock that weighs 19 ounces. And the atlas comes with an aluminum trigger guard for use with a blind magazine. So I'd like a 22" barrel as light as possible. Would anyone know of a supplier of lightweight carbon wrapped barrels? Any other light weight, accurate suggestions?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Not cheap:

http://www.christensenarms.com...-arms-carbon-barrel/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stocky's sells 'em too I think from Proof Research. Also not cheap.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've decided to go with a conventional barrel and save weight in other areas. To that end, I have ordered an MDT LSS chassis. Go to :

http://mdttac.com/

This stock doesn't need bottom metal, so it is less expensive ($400) than a conventional stock plus bottom metal and weighs 25 ounces. I'll need to add an AR type buffer tube and an M4 style collapsible stock. This configurations also lends itself well to making this gun into a switch-barrel rifle. With my aluminum barrel vice and action wrench, I won't even have to remove the stock to switch barrels.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 2 308 rifles with Christensen Arms barrels, and one 300 Win Mag and one 308 barrel from Proof Research.
ALL four were VERY accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a carbon wrapped barrel after all. The seller installed it for me. It's a switch barrel in 308 and 22-250 AI. The 22-250 is a conventional stainless barrel. Extreme accuracy in both barrels. I installed a 2 ounce trigger which makes it only suitable for target shooting. I may have to install a heavier trigger and take it hunting.