Find
Notify
Tools

Oversized bore
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Really not benchrest but I have a rifle which i slugged the bore due to accuracy problems that are driving me nutz! The bore is .0001 (one thousanth) oversize. How much should this affect accuracy?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
That isn't your problem.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch the rifle is a 375 jdj that I built useing a shilen #5 CM barrel. When i shoot cast bullets that are .001 to .002 over bore size the guns shoots well but it won't shoot jacketed bullets as their diameter is .375 & the bore is .376, no gas seal with jacketed bullets Frowner ? Groups are about 2 1/2" at best with all kind of different loads. A friend who shoots nothing but cast suggested slugging the bore & thats when we found the oversize issue.
I am going to really hate being restricted to shooting cast bullets.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
The bore size of a 375 Shilen or other brands are .366 approx. The groove size is 375. You said .0001 oversize. What is .0001 oversize?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
When I slugged the bore with a hard cast .377 dia bullet it comes out .376 groove to groove. When I tapped a jacketed .375 Hornady into the muzzle only the lands mark the bullet. The groove to groove diameter is .376 & the diameter land to land is .369.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you called Shilen? That is what I would do.
Butch

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I might do that. Thanks Butch. I guess I should have slugged the bore before I started this project. I'm just glade the rifle is for me and not a customer.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Their seems to be a problem with their website. Do you have their phone number Butch?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
They are fighting an internet problem as we speak. Try 1-972-875-5318.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a hard thick jacketed bullet using something thinner such as the bullets made for the .375 Win.
You might not believe this but the large majority of barrels on the planet are oversize and shoot well. Many of the European military rifles were designed with .002 to .003 clearance and the lands were expected to displace enough metal to bump the bullet up to fit the grooves.

Oh yeah my Marlin .375 Win has a groove diameter that is .3775 opening to .3778 at the muzzle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks I'll have to try that.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the 260gr. Accubonds? They seem to outshoot every load I have had as my go to loads for .375s, including 2 375jdj's...

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bob I do have some 260 ABs but havn't tried them yet. Based on your experiences I'll give them a try. What powder & load do you use with the 260s?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I always use a pure lead slug for slugging a bore. Easier to push through.
I think they will give a better reading than a hard cast slug.
The harder the slug the more it will spring back to a larger diameter.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is one reason I do not use Shilen barrels; I have had problems with them walking shots.
What action is it built on; maybe it is bedding.
I only use Douglas barrels. They work.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is one reason I do not use Shilen barrels; I have had problems with them walking shots.
What action is it built on; maybe it is bedding.
I only use Douglas barrels. They work.

One of my 375/404 rifles has a Shilen barrel - the other has a Lilja barrel.

They both shoot extrembly we’ll - they still shoot touching 3 shots at 100 yards.

I have experimented with different size bullets in these 375/404.

As we make our own lathe turned bullets, we can control the diameter to any size we wish.

I cannot remember finding any appreciable difference - 100 yards - in bullets diameter that varied up to plus or minus 0.003.

Nor could we notice any excessive pressure signs in the loads we use for hunting.

I actually make my own hunting bullets for these two rifles slightly undersized.

We had a Blaser R93 in 375H&H that had a very small bore size!

Was blowing primers on starting loads with our Walterhog bullets.

It started shooting well with bullets - I think - which were down to 0.372.

I tried 0.277 bullets in a 7x64 rifle, and they shot reasonably well - as accurate as some factory ammo in 7x64???!!

That is a difference of 0.007”.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66698 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
0.0001 inches is one ten thousands of and inch.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
In my experience, shooting 3 different rifles in 308 Winchester, plus or minus 0.002 in bullet diameter had no effect on accuracy.

The bullets I made myself on our CNC lathe.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66698 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told once that the Ruger New Model Single Six Convertible barrel was bored for the 22 WMR, and that was the reason why 22 RF was less than accurate. I dunno.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
HOLD ON!!! .0001 is NOT one thousandth. .0001 is the tolerance for match grade barrels; they can't vary more than that for the length the bore.
Whatever your problem is, that ain't it. I don't use those barrels any more but not for that reason.
Anyway, uniformity is far more important than exact size.
I must not have read the OP before. I often answer questions without reading them first.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheesh! His post was from 2011.

Posts: 418 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote