Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Wonderin
 Login/Join

posted
Went to our range today to watch National Guardsmen shoot machine guns. The Guardsmen told me they were the current model used in the Middle East. 308 cal. I ask him why the targets were only 10 yds. away? He said it saves time replacing the targets. I said does that improve your long range accuracy? He said they just make the targets smaller when they shoot from that range. Was he pulling my leg? Shooting from 10 yds. seems easier than 200 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a machine gun close is good enough.
But at 10 yds I wouldn't think that you could get too much information about how or where you were shooting. Sounds like the Sgt. was just a little soft on the men.

My .02
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
The standard at one time, not long ago was 1,000 inches on a great big target (3x5 feet maybe) with lots of little bad guys printed on it.

It was largely to practice utilizing the T&E to get rounds on target and to teach the respective parties to work as a team.

Ten yards sounds pretty silly though ...

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Military intelligence?

They should just let them use a video game!

rotflmo

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Guardsmen were simply being indoctrinated in the operation of the MGs ??

There is always a reason behind every military undertaking, right. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote