THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Breaking in a barrel
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted Hide Post
My business of re-barreling rifles has benefitted greatly due to "Break-in" procedures.
One of the most valuable assets, to my business, was the NECO "Fire lapping" kit.


NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level
 
Posts: 1220 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
since we all seem to spit a hair on this subject,I will admit being as guity. Although I fire jacketed, I also cast my own. For " breaking down the lands" of any possible tool marks,etc. I use a cast bullet sized to the bore + lapped w/ cutting oil + valve lapping compound.20 rounds will clean it up with no "rough spots"
'


I sure hope you don't ruin a custom barrel doing that.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
My business of re-barreling rifles has benefitted greatly due to "Break-in" procedures.
One of the most valuable assets, to my business, was the NECO "Fire lapping" kit.



Yup! Breaking in a barrel is done by the folks reading the funny papers.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I break in my barrels for mainly one reason. That is to make cleaning easier and quicker between matches. Reloading, cleaning and preparing for the next match has always seen me rushing to be ready.
Breaking in a barrel takes me about 10 shots and to me the benefit of a quick cleanup far outweighs the notion that you are taking un-necessary shots that decrease the life of your barrel.
I don't read the funny papers but have placed in National competition and have the trophy's to prove it.
To each his own. I'll look for your results in the match reports.


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I break in my barrels for mainly one reason. That is to make cleaning easier and quicker between matches. Reloading, cleaning and preparing for the next match has always seen me rushing to be ready.
Breaking in a barrel takes me about 10 shots and to me the benefit of a quick cleanup far outweighs the notion that you are taking un-necessary shots that decrease the life of your barrel.
I don't read the funny papers but have placed in National competition and have the trophy's to prove it.
To each his own. I'll look for your results in the match reports.


Young feller, I too have placed in National Competitions, small overall groups at the Nationals, and a 3rd place in class at a Super Shoot with over 400 shooters.
If I didn't have a closet full of wood I still know about barrels and prep.
To each his own.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked for someone named Pegleg in the results of several "National Competitions" and found nary a one.


NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level
 
Posts: 1220 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I placed 3rd in the 1992 Nationals in Phoenix.
Over 600 shooters as the World Championships were to follow.
Shot the smallest group at the 95 Nationals in Kansas City.
I've retired from benchrest as many of my friends who I shot with have moved on also.
I will entertain individual matches for money though. I still have a sporter and a heavy to play around with.
Do you register as DocEd in matches? Wild!
Come up to Tacoma and lets shoot a match together.


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I placed 3rd in the 1992 Nationals in Phoenix.
Over 600 shooters as the World Championships were to follow.
Shot the smallest group at the 95 Nationals in Kansas City.
I've retired from benchrest as many of my friends who I shot with have moved on also.
I will entertain individual matches for money though. I still have a sporter and a heavy to play around with.
Do you register as DocEd in matches? Wild!
Come up to Tacoma and lets shoot a match together.


I'm sorry to have said I placed in the 1992 Nationals. It was the 1997 Nationals.
3rd place in the 13.5 lb. class.


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I placed 3rd in the 1992 Nationals in Phoenix.
Over 600 shooters as the World Championships were to follow.
Shot the smallest group at the 95 Nationals in Kansas City.
I've retired from benchrest as many of my friends who I shot with have moved on also.
I will entertain individual matches for money though. I still have a sporter and a heavy to play around with.
Do you register as DocEd in matches? Wild!
Come up to Tacoma and lets shoot a match together.


I'm sorry to have said I placed in the 1992 Nationals. It was the 1997 Nationals.
3rd place in the 13.5 lb. class.


I was there also at that time.Weren't near 600 shooters there.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How did you do there, Butch? Big Grin


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
How did you do there, Butch? Big Grin



Peg, I really don't know, but am trying to find out. I did have a tie for first at 200 yards there. Dwight Scott and I tied. I was second because of the tie breaker.
I am working on the actual attendance figures for you in 1997. Probably less than 300, but I will find out for sure to help you out.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I placed 3rd in the 1992 Nationals in Phoenix.
Over 600 shooters as the World Championships were to follow.
Shot the smallest group at the 95 Nationals in Kansas City.
I've retired from benchrest as many of my friends who I shot with have moved on also.
I will entertain individual matches for money though. I still have a sporter and a heavy to play around with.
Do you register as DocEd in matches? Wild!
Come up to Tacoma and lets shoot a match together.


Hey Peg, this is from our regional director.

"I was there. don't have exact number. aprox 200. pam might have records".

I have an email out to Pam.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still checking for the official record of attendies, everybody says a little over 200 shooters.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably 200 then Butch. Remember who handed out the trophies? And the clown that was the show of the ceremonies?
I thought my competitor number was 621. Maybe it was 261. Been a long time. I benched by Clarence Hammonds and Bob Magen..Eunice Berger was on the other side from Clarence. It was a good match. Remember what Walt did in the tent set up for the foreign shooters?


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel break in procedure allows me to fire form my brass for a new barrel. I always make up new brass when a new barrel is screwed on.
Kind of like killing two birds with one stone.


The only easy day is yesterday!
 
Posts: 2710 | Location: Western Cascade Mountains | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I do depends on the type of rifle and the quality of the barrel.
A smooth or lapped barrel gets little attention. I do wipe the to detect leading with cast bullet loads.
Rougher barrels including many button rifled barrels, Marlin Microgroove, military barrels and any thing that fouls with jacketed bullets gets wiped and wire brushed until the fouling stops. Some take only a few shots some more. I do this while working up loads so there is NO extra cost or wear.
It is basically a FREE activity except for added wear on my bore brushes.
 
Posts: 35 | Registered: 08 August 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magnumlaod:
With modern firearms and materials most manufacturers guarantee their rifles with their ammo to shoot 1" MOA or better. So question, is it really a necessity to proper procedure break in a barrel?


I mostly buy used guns and tweak loads to get what I want, someone else's problem...


TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)
 
Posts: 12259 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you go over to BenchrestCentral.com. The shooters and smiths there are some of the best in the world.

I've been building competition rifles for over 10 years, always using Krieger barrels. The guys at Krieger recommend two things: Never clean down to bare metal. You need a little copper to fill the microscopic 'pores' left from the barrel making process. I've found that cut rifled or button rifles barrels are the easiest to clean.

As far as break in, I follow the manufacturers recommendations and have never been disappointed. My rifles only shoot 1/4 inch groups, which is not considered big league by any measure.
 
Posts: 188 | Registered: 05 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggruber:
I suggest you go over to BenchrestCentral.com. The shooters and smiths there are some of the best in the world.

I've been building competition rifles for over 10 years, always using Krieger barrels. The guys at Krieger recommend two things: Never clean down to bare metal. You need a little copper to fill the microscopic 'pores' left from the barrel making process. I've found that cut rifled or button rifles barrels are the easiest to clean.

As far as break in, I follow the manufacturers recommendations and have never been disappointed. My rifles only shoot 1/4 inch groups, which is not considered big league by any measure.


Young feller, you might go to BR.com and check on how long Doc Ed and I have been members there. Yes, since the inception. Just like all the forums, they have varied opinions as here. On a custom lapped barrel, the throat is all that needs attention. Machining fluff from chambering in the throat is what needs attention. Get your bronze cleaning brush, wrap it in 0000 steel wool, put it in your trusty hand drill and put it in the throat area. A 5 second trip will do all your break in.
 
Posts: 8747 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia