Find
Notify
Tools

Any market these days for these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I have several rifles I'm going to get rid of (probably going to part out) or otherwise send down the road since I am no longer physically capable of shooting anything.

Among their actions are things like the Stolle Panda, the AMT BR, the Wichita 1.375, and some others. I also have high power actions such as the Musgrave Palma actions, the Paramount Quadlite, and so on.

Naturally, they almost all have BR stocks too...some of them by "Briar" Hale, at least one other is a laminated 3" forend BR stock whose maker is well known but won't pop into my mind any more.

I have a heap of Jewell 2 ounce triggers too.

All of the rifles have barrels of course, which include .220 Russian Improved, 6 m/m Tall Dog, .30-BR, .30 PPC, and others.

So what do you guys think...should I part them out, or just sell them as rifles?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I would think that there would be more value in a complete rifle. I don't own any benchrest rifles but even I might find a caliber that becomes a "must have". Smiler

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC I agree with pauls. A complete rifle, with sample targets should sell fairly well, for those folks looking for a VERY accurate rifle. Unfortunately most folks these days are looking for a "tactical" rifle and have never heard of Stolle, so it will be a limited market!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's worth knowing...thanks. (I have every target every one of those rifles has ever fired, so they can not only see how consistently well they shoot and which loads shoot best, but can count how many rounds each has fired.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Oh, Lloyd, my heart is all aflutter. If you can wait until March, I'll have a monthly Social Security check to sign over to you ....

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16323 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, you'll need to contact Frank Martinez by PM here at AR...yesterday he picked up all my rifles and all my loading components to sell for me. He is still in town today, so if you tell me right away which ne you are interested in, I'll ask him to hold it for you until you guys have a chance to talk.

Best wishes Bill.

Lloyd

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
I would think that there would be more value in a complete rifle. I don't own any benchrest rifles but even I might find a caliber that becomes a "must have". Smiler

I'd be inclined to agree with this. I bought a benchrest 22 RF in January, paid plenty but each part was chosen by someone who knew what to get and it shoots nice...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14346 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe www.benchrestcentral.com's classifieds?

There is an awful lot of very precise workmanship involved in building an accurte BR rifle. It would be a shame to lose them.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try: accurateshooter.com They are a benchrest community with the expertise in understanding and valuing what you have. You have quality equipment I would not worry, it will sell itself.
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a real problem with selling benchrest guns...ie. "If it is that good then why are you selling it?". BR shooters are a pretty competitive crowd and they know that noone is going to sell a winning rifle. Still, there are some folks who would like to get into the game, don't want to spend an arm and a leg with no guarantees of a competitive rifle at the end, who would be good candidates. Having said that, case prep for tight chambered guns, straight line bullet seaters etc. etc. can be more than many folks bargained for.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might be easier if you answered PM's here...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally have purchased several "Used" BR rifles and as stated they are a "Particular Bunch" BUT they also are easily influenced by "The Flavor of the Month" and luv to upgrade to the "Latest and Greatest"
IMHO Used BR rifle are purchased for the Action ,Stock with the premise that the BBL will need replaced

Good Luck

Jim

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 159 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
There is a real problem with selling benchrest guns...ie. "If it is that good then why are you selling it?". BR shooters are a pretty competitive crowd and they know that noone is going to sell a winning rifle.

Usually, but not always. Those of us who have sudden catastrophic physical problems pretty much have no more use for our winning guns, even though they are fully capable of still winning at the national level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This place buys benchrest and target guns. He has a huge selection. http://theshooterscorner.com/

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote