Find
Notify
Tools

Bench question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted
What effect does shooting from a bench with the muzzle directly over the bench top (not out over the front edge) have?

Does (or can) it mean change of impact or larger groups?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off hand, I would say none, because the bullet has already left the barrel. I assume you are referring to the effect of muzzle blast?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it has any affect on the bullets flight but, it has a definite affect on the neighboring shooters. In fact, in both the NBRSA and IBS rule books, it states that the muzzle must be forward of the bench top.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Yeah LOL!

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
It sure does clean the debris off the bench rotflmo
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures that I have seen show some gases exiting before the bullet.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pictures that I have seen show some gases exiting before the bullet.

Hmmmm... I'd like to see those.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as you fire, gases are building up around the bullet and befor the bullet can completly seal off the bore, gases escape around the sides of the bullet and exit the muzzle first. not to mention all the air the bullet is pushing out.

well, thats the theory anyway

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread, but this could make an interesting test. Anyone care to?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
Resurrecting an old thread, but this could make an interesting test. Anyone care to?

No!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:

No!

Better yet, start a new thread about barrel break-in!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NAH! Using Sierra matchkings for hunting! Now that is a topic! Or, using Sierra BlitzKings for Benchrest.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote