New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight Bolt close?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been loading the 22PPC case and trying to group the 53 gr. Barnes TSX-FB bullets in a Ruger #1Vwith no good success. Groups run from 1.125†to 3.25â€, powers XMR2015 & H322.
I have been neck sizing with the Lee collet die. After several firings I noticed that the bolt (lever) closes tight.
So I full-length resized using a Hornady die and the bolt (lever) still closes tight. I can close and open the action, but it closes considerably tighter than new brass. Maybe this is not a problem. It appears the brass is tight just above the head. Is there a die to size this location? Is the brass shot-out after only about 5 or 6 firings? Is this normal to be tight? I have read that bench shoots shoot this case more than 100 loadings and they load very hot. What are your thoughts? BTW the best groups were with 26.5 gr of 2015 @ 3210 ft./sec. and 28 gr of H322 @ 3535 ft/sec. Both were 1.125 and 1.25â€, respectively, not good in my opinion. I would like to see 0.75†or less.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the case length? Are you sure you set up the sizing die correctly ie, no play in the press handle? Also, why not use match bullets like Berger, Sierra, Bruno etc. As an aside, the Ruger #1 may not be the best vehicle for accuracy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter.....I had trimmed the cases. Die was good, double checked it. I want a hunting bullet for deer/antelope. maybe the 1.2" is fine for that, but I just thought I could improve. The gun will shoot well with match bullets for a factory gun (less than 0.5" and as good as .25"). Was wondering about the tight closing. I did just measure the case heads (without the rim) and got fired case head diameters are 0.443", FL sized are 0.4415 - 0.442", new cases are 00.4365 - .437". I don't see a problem here.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this. Remove your expander ball from your sizer die. full length resize a couple cases. clean off the lube. try these empty resized cases. If they chamber smoothly, then the cause is the expander ball pulling the shoulder out of shape.
Also possible is that you are not pushing the shoulder back far enough or at all.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your brass is tight at the base, a Redding "small base die" will cure that, but you say they mic ok. If your sizing die isn't bumping the shoulder back enough, be sure the ram is contacting the shell holder to the die. If it is and still not bumping the shoulder, grind the top off the the shell holder some, then set the die in deeper.

Use a magic marker the coat the brass to determine what isn't being sized enough. Case length can creep up quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muck...That was a great idea.....I tried it and it did not work. I do now believe that it is the shoulder not being bumped back at all.

RWS...when I set-up the die in the press it contacts the shell holder, but when I size the brass the die is just short of the shell holder. Maybe some slop in the system and I need to contact the shell holder then add 1/2 or 1 turn down when I adjust the die. I guess you can't screw the die down too far as the shell holder will stop it. You may push the sholder back more than wanted is all. So maybe I have to screw the die in more till it meets the shell holder during the sizing operation. Maybe I am using a shell holder from another manufacturer. I have something to try...thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it now. The bolt closes very nice now. Thanks for the help. I was not bumping the shoulder back enough. The reason was not being agressive enough with the ram, I think, or the die was not down far enough. The case being short, only 1.495"; the ram travel is great, leaving the lever arm almost all the way down and close to parallel with the ram, so I was lossing leverage, my mechanical advantage was weak. You really have to lay into it when the arm is all the way down. I may be making excuses for this silly mistake, but I learned something and it made me think. Thanks again for all the input. I'm back running smooth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to measure for the correct shoulder bump? If you bump them too far you will get case head separation. That is a dangerous situation. You only need to bump them about .001.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:
quote:
Do you know how to measure for the correct shoulder bump?
?
Please correct me if I am wrong or you have a better way...I would need to get a Wilson case length gauge for the 22PPC or similar product and measure the case after firing and after sizing. The change in lenght should be only 0.001" or alittle less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB,
I don't know what a Wilson case length guage is. I take a barrel stub and run the reamer into it. I want all the neck and the shoulder in the stub. Slide the stub over your fired case, without a primer and take a measurement. Adjust your die to bump or move your shoulder back .001. Make sure that you remove the primer before making a measurement as the crater usually extends beyond the base of the case. I hope that I am clear in what I am telling you.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch....I think what you are saying is you take a 22 caliper barrel, cut off about a 1.5 inch length, ream this "1.5" barrel stub" with a 22PPC reamer to form a sholder in it and use it to measure the case length of a fired case. Then set your die so that the case length after sizing is 0.001" shorter using your "barrel stub" to measure the length. I think what you are doing is making a Wilson case length gauge. But you make a Butch case length gauge. Am I on the right track? Maybe you should make me one of yours in 22PPC, so I will have one. I think what your "barrel stub is, is a length of metal that has a hole in it the size of the case neck and behind this is the shoulder of the case reamed into it. In the end it ontacts the shoulder so that you can detect movement in the shoulder. I wonder if I am being clear? But, no I do not have this device to assist in this measurement and I should get one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems you have the world by the Tail. I do have a 6ppc stub that I will give you if it helps your situation.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing Butch does, only I face off the end opposite the shoulder so I can see the mouth of the case, in relation to the end of the chamber. This makes the "widget" as it is known, a 2 purpose tool.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So do I Eddie, My stubs are about .625.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eddie...is the 2nd purpose to check the trim length?

Butch...thanks for the offer on the 6ppc widget, you are very kind. I guess that would work, wouldn't it? But I hate to inconvenience you, but thanks much. I should order one in 22ppc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB, yes.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
May I ask - I don't have any of these problems - what causes the need to 'bump' the shoulder back? Surely a case fired in a chamber will still fit that chamber? Is it the action of the expander plug moving the shoulder forward a bit?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303guy...After several firings (the hotter the loads the fewer the firings) the brass will eventually become tight in the chamber and will need to be sized to push the shoulder back a little so that the bolt will close easily. Why, I guess the brass just expands over times fired, takes a set and does not "bounce back" after a firing, like it used to. I think this is what happens.