New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any advantage whatsoever for a 30" vs a 26" barrel for the 223?

Do you get noticeably more stabilized bullets from the longer barrel?

Is there any real world velocity to be gained using the longer barrel?

I have an opportunity to purchase below cost a 223 and those are features I know absolutely nothing about.

I am leaning towards the "shorter" barrel, and thought if anyone would know it would be the bench shooters.

Thanks,

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long barrels are good for burning large quantities of slow burning powder to gain higher velocities with heavy for caliber bullets. Very few of these features apply to the 223. Bullet stability is based on rifling twist, not barrel length. Velocity usually increases with barrel length however some barrels are "fast" for their length and some are slow. With 75gr and heavier bullets the 30" barrel might have some velocity gain. I have a 22" 223 that is faster with the same load than my 24" 223. The one nice feature about a long barrel is that you can always make it shorter. If the price is right I wouldn't worry to much about the extra length.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Duane.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote