New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railguns...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any of you own railguns other than just for BR?

I'm thinking I want one to play around with with a 308 winchester and cast bullets.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been talking with Jay Young. He builds them.

He sent me some pictures of one he built last year in 50 BMG for a custom ammunition company.

Jeez what a monster...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you would do with one unless it is BR. Even then, many shooters don't like them. They can be very fussy. And some think a rail will shoot through conditions, which they won't. Personally, I have enough trouble trying to keep a couple bag guns shooting, and a rail just adds to the mix.

But if you have the time and get one, they are fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever want a firearm, just for fun?

I started out with cast bullets and an old Krag in 1965. Rode a tractor for ninety-cents an hour.
The notion of having a 308 Win that would be precise enough to shoot cast bullets in the .2 moa or even smaller range has fascinated since I saw my first one (railgun) at Steve Kostanich's shop about 1989 when I picked up my first HBR.

A rail would let me tinker with moulds, PC, seating depth, etc for the rest of my life, and remove most of the human element from the equation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, it would do that. I have done work for quite a few cast bullet shooters, interesting game. With all the variables, on top of the variables in shooting jacketed bullets, it's a tinker's dream come true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've built and shot a couple rail guns. Never found them to be touchy. They are great for learning to read the wind. It also eliminates your bad gun handling. I don't think they help much on load development as all rifles are different and like different loads, bullets, and seating depths.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch, well said.

But this will be for my own edification and entertainment. I got tri-focals about eighteen months ago. That does not aid much in shooting accuracy.

The idea that the weakest link in the chain can be eliminated intrigues me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right. It is fun and can get you in the ball park on loads.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, my comment was, to get a rail to agg like they do today, takes some doing. It's not all "plug and play". They are fun and will show you some things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Ever want a firearm, just for fun?

I started out with cast bullets and an old Krag in 1965. Rode a tractor for ninety-cents an hour.
The notion of having a 308 Win that would be precise enough to shoot cast bullets in the .2 moa or even smaller range has fascinated since I saw my first one (railgun) at Steve Kostanich's shop about 1989 when I picked up my first HBR.

A rail would let me tinker with moulds, PC, seating depth, etc for the rest of my life, and remove most of the human element from the equation.

I bought a rimfire benchrest gun, just because. Now when I miss, it's not the gun.

In 1965 I was moving lines of three-inch sprinkler pipe for 25 cents an hour in an alfalfa field. Once in awhile we'd find a fawn hidden in the alfalfa.
At the time, our most accurate rifle was a Remington 510P, still a nice gun fifty years later.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, contact me at Eharren at Comcast dot net and I'll send info on one I have for sale.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
Rich, contact me at Eharren at Comcast dot net and I'll send info on one I have for sale.

Is that the one with a round Polar?

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jiri:
You are talking about this?
[url=https://www.youtube.com

I believe this is what they are talking about:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt...lSIY2ZsB3nGn_JuunBU-

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote