New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 40X 22lr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A good friend of mine has got one of these. Accuracy is so so but he is starting to play with the barrel support screws and is seeing some improvement. I suggested a barrel tuner. Are these specific to a firearm, if not, how are they attached to the barrel?
Any information would be helpful at this early stage. He is using Aguila ammo and has some better stuff but doesn't want to waste it. He is shooting at 100 yards and it has been windy as well, but I would have though this rifle would shoot better than 2-3" groups at that range. He is going to retest when it is not so windy eg. earlier in the morning.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 40X should group better, but ammunition and wind are critical. Maybe he'd do better to start with 50 yards. What sort of sights are in play?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoots well at 50. I believe he is using a Redfield scope with external adjustments (like the Unertl).
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Using wind flags will dramatically reduce the feeling that you're just wasting ammo. It doesn't take much to play havoc with the little .22 bullets at 50 yards and even more so at 100, so something as simple as half a dozen flags made of surveyor's tape tacked to wood dowels spaced from the muzzle to the target will help. There's a reason every single competitive shooter at a benchrest match will have a set of flags.

Also the rifle will only shoot as well as the ammo it is fed so if he's got good stuff, I say use it.

The barrel tuners are bored to fit the last 1" of the barrel and clamp on tight. They will help get the most out of a rig that is already shooting consistently but won't turn iffy ammo into good ammo, or make an inconsistent shooter come alive.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Using wind flags will dramatically reduce the feeling that you're just wasting ammo. It doesn't take much to play havoc with the little .22 bullets at 50 yards and even more so at 100, so something as simple as half a dozen flags made of surveyor's tape tacked to wood dowels spaced from the muzzle to the target will help. There's a reason every single competitive shooter at a benchrest match will have a set of flags.

I'm starting to wonder if the little plastic strips aren't more useful in gauging wind speed. How do people use the little windmills, by sound?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I've seen some that color one blade black or red so they can better gauge how fast it is turning. I personally don't use them, at least not yet. My set of Wick's double vane flags with a tape tail can confuse me enough. It can be helpful to have some different tail materials for different conditions- something very light for still conditions and something heavier for pushy conditions.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most subsonic target ammo will group better as well, still gotta find what your rifle likes though. Best to try many different types.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Most subsonic target ammo will group better as well, still gotta find what your rifle likes though. Best to try many different types.

You never know. I won a turkey shoot once with inexpensive Federal target-grade 22 RF, probably 711B or something like it.

TomP