Find
Notify
Tools

Weight of front rest?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted
I looking to purchase a new front rest and have a question. The rest I'm looking at is available in cast iron or aluminum. The iron rest is 21 lbs and the aluminum one weighs in at 12 lbs. I wouldn't expect either one to move on the bench, but is the extra weight preferred? The cast iron one is slightly more expensive, which seems strange. Aluminum is usually more expensive than cast iron.

Thanks,
Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did very will at 1K BR with an aluminum Bald Eagle rest. The new Bald Eagle I just bought is aluminum. The heavier rest is a little more stable, but if the bags are set up right I'm not sure it is an issue.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only advantage I would see would be inertia.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I think I'll probably go with the aluminum version to save some weight when hauling it to the bench. If I run into problems with it moving around, it shouldn't be too hard to add some extra weight.

Thanks,
Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take on the front rest is get the heavy one if you are into accuracy. You don't want your front rest moving between shots.
Everyone that buys a Sportster ends up getting the Big Twin sooner or later.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a benchrest competitor for almost forty years and a benchrest writter for Precision Shooting for over twenty, I'm convinced that the heavier your front and rear rests are, the better. My standard match equipment is a Farley front and an Edgewood Gatorhead rear (filled with heavy sand) that weight around 30 lbs. each.

That said, I'm now getting too old to lug the darn things around. Since my wife is younger, totally fit but a very unwilling slave, when I get to the occasional match nowadays, I usually show up with much lighter equipment.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I don't have Dick's experience but agree, the heavier (and wider the footprint) the better.

Rest "feet" seem to help keep them more stable too, though I do not hammer the rest into place.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided on the heavier cast iron version and got it ordered today. I may have to get my son-in-law to tote it from the truck to the bench. Thanks for all the advise.

Nashcat

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
The UPS truck dropped off the rest today, and I'm glad I bought the cast iron version. I like the feel of the extra weight. Now, if it will stop raining long enough to head to the range. If anyone needs an extra rest, Grizzly has the Bald Eagle rests at a REALLY good price.

Nashcat

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing you will want to do is get rid of the cable and move the windage adjustment to the crossslide. It's an easy conversion that uses a standard size carburetor stud and the handle from the cable to replace the entire cable assembly. You have to reverse and flip a couple of parts, but it fits back together like it was designed that way. Takes about 20 minutes. General opinion is that the cable flops to much and teaches you the meaning of "hysteresis". The mod makes the windage work like a Sinclair. Do a google search and you will find all the instructions on another gun board.

I really like the rests for the money. I have three of them, along with a Sinclair, a Pappas one piece and a Farley, I bought one of them in cast iron Y form just to mount one of Butch's joystick tops on. It worked really well. Owning both, I have to say I like Butch's top better than the Farley. It's a little smoother (especially at the extremes of movement) and seems to have a little more range.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullets.com Bald Eagle rest is good without the cable. Heavy is better.

My older style coaxial rest top on a Bald Eagle.

This Bald Eagle has the narrow front legs that I do not prefer.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill called that the "Slingshot" but he offered the standard 120 degree model as well.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct Eddie.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick,

you forgot to add waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking...

Rich

jumping

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Ain't that the truth?

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote