New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video of Tony Boyer shooting unlimited
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Benchrest shooters recognize Tony as being in a World by himself in Competition BR shooting. He is so far above any before him and at the present. This you tube will show him studying the windflags while the target crew is changing targets, Tony starting by shooting a few sighters, and then sending ten shots down range in a pretty quick manner. He ended up shooting 8-10 shot groups under the size of a dime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Aew&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standing next to Tony at the Nationals in KC one time I noticed he was checking his last target. About a .110 and I commented that it looked pretty damn good. His response was "Oh, I missed a condition" You gotta love Tony Boyer!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the year I went to the Super Shoot with Russ Hayden (early nineties), Tony and Fay were there. Tony had had open heart surgery about a month before. He was slow moving, and slow talking, but he sat down and shot well enough to win the Overall.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I wish I had his patience. Those railguns are amazing rigs too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ said he wanted to leave early that year Rich. Do you remember?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
As exiting as watching paint dry

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that watching any shooting match can be boring if you're not part of it.
Dane, wouldn't you like to be in his class as a shooter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep.

Do you remember Skip Otto passing the hat in the pre-match meeting because I said I did not bring the $$$ to shoot? I also said I had no BR rifle, so Alan Hall, a man I thought was my friend, tells George Sr to slot me in between he and his and his son Larry's relays.

It's always good to have friends...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I agree that watching any shooting match can be boring if you're not part of it.
Dane, wouldn't you like to be in his class as a shooter?

But can he kill a running deer through timber at 75 yards.

Each to their own game

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Done so many times and further with witness's

As I said each to their own game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what is your point?
Actually after hunting once or twice, I doubt either you or anybody else will consistently kill a deer running through timber at 75yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
doubt away

The point is that people who specialize in one sport get very good at.

Doesn't make them better or worst. Or some one that one wants to be like.

His skill with using highly specialized equipment to shoot bullets into very small holes is just that.

I find more practical applications for firearms to be more useful.

Maybe people who hunt over feeders need more bench rest skills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what is your point? We know that you couldn't carry Boyer's jock strap in a BR match and I'm not sure he couldn't put you to shame in any type hunting. This post has nothing to do with you or your supposed skills. Was hunting in anyway brought up other than your supposed skills. Go trolling someplace else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dane, wouldn't you like to be in his class as a shooter

Some of us have no reason to want to be that class of shooter.

Different shooting for different folks.

Running deer through timber that would be a interesting match. Kind of hard to repeat each and every shot to see who would win.

I don't think I ever had the same range, same brush, same timber for any of the many running deer I killed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have an ego problem wanting to see yourself in print. This post has nothing to do with anything except BR shooting by the very best BR shooter of all time. That is on record and can't be disputed. Why don't you start a thread about your great accomplishments on the proper forum? Remember, I won't leave you alone if you keep up your BS on this thread.
Dane is probably a person that can speak for himself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets take to Pm then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it has all been said. Tony Boyer is far and away the best BR shooter of all time. You say you shoot running deer in the forest.
Ain't no reason for a PM. If you want to post about your exploits, go to the appropriate forum.
This ain't the hunting forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Boyer; the once and future King of BR.

He never brags, he just wins...

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed in the video is that he is not really shooting a rifle.He has the barreled action on a apparatus that is taking all the recoil away.
If the fellow had the rifle on a rest and was shooting it normally I would give him more credit.
This is like the yacht that went up against the catamaran in the world cup.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just one class that we shoot. We have 3 additional classes with regular type rifles. You can only gain entrance into the Hall of Fame with wins only in the 2 Nationals yearly. A class yardage win is 1 point. Tony Boyer has 164 points, probably 3 times the points of second place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want to gain entrance into the hall of fame and why would a real shooter shoot with such a device?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway, you obviously have no competitive spirit. What are your goals?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
If a guy can't read the wind correctly the tiny groups Tony shoots are nothing but a dream.

Amazing talent to have to be able to read the wind like he can...rail gun or not!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Why would anyone want to gain entrance into the hall of fame and why would a real shooter shoot with such a device?

Fellas.......really........you are wasting your time trying to explain anything to this MORON!

space

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony "B" as he is known has always EXCELLED an anything he has EVER done. In his late 30's early 40's he was as good of FAST pitch softball player in his area.
He built a 300 yd range on his farm Home place and he had a lot of winter days off due to the nature of his work and it was NOT UNUSUAL to see him headed to the range on snowy -blustery days to practice. Believe me Tony is as dedicated as any person in any sport you will ever find.

Jim

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 159 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you are correct. I have had private shooting lessons and one on one visits with him. I have never seen a person with his passion for shooting. His whole life is shooting. We would go to lunch and I would ask him about what the country was like at the last World Championship that he shot in. His answer was only about the range and the wind conditions. He knew nothing about the country or the food. He thinks shooting everyday, all day. Tony shoots year round and thinks a windy day is great and to his advantage. Tony used to be a bag squeezer. He told me that he had a shot go out a little once in a while and he didn't know why. Said he went to his range at his house and shot about 1000 rounds looking for the problem. He found the problem, arthritis in his left hand. He couldn't hold the pressure consistently on the rear bag. He has been shooting a Farley since that time.

A good article in Outdoor Life. The picture is not Tony though.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/art...worlds-best-riflemen

One of Us
Picture of Liam Mark Slattery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
As exiting as watching paint dry

Christ that was boring, Frowner

Military Police

Posts: 32 | Location: Rep. of Ireland | Registered: 01 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LMSlattery,
That is why there are different shooting sports.
Do you know Jon Hammond of Scotland? Would his shooting be more exciting to you?

To be honest I don't know of any shooting sport that is a spectator sport

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony just won the Super Shoot over 200 shooters from all over the World.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Funny how some people just can't understand benchrest shooting - what motivates benchrest shooters. It is trying to achieve the perfection of putting all your shots thru one hole.

Each shooting sport (in fact you could say sports in general) has its own goal - a one hole group (same diameter as the bullet) is the goal in benchrest shooting. Secondarily, the sport has led to general improvements in the accuracy of firearms.

What Tony does best and is admired for. As they say, he is da man!

Kinda like a 300 game bowling or pitching a no hitter in baseball.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each shooting sport (in fact you could say sports in general) has its own goal -

That's exactly righ! Why another shooter would want to belittle another discipline amazes me. There is a lot that can be learned from all of them.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote