New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchrest rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Local pawn shop has picked up a few benchrest rifle in a estate sale.

One rifle is a 6ppc with a hall action. No idea on who made the barrel or the rifle.

Is this interesting ? I know nothing about benchrest rifles.

How much Approximately would something life this be worth if it looks like it is in good condition ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have several rifles with Hall actions.

They EXTREMELY accurate.

One is a 6mm PPC.

It shoots some groups which I cannot measure accurately!

I have sent you a couple I have on my phone.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, 6ppc in a bench rest rifle is gonna,be a hand loading only type thing. I would imagine that its gonna be a tight neck chamber.

Were I you I would keep bashing away with your 6.5 needmoor and telling yourself its amazing.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They want $1500 for it and someone who does not shoot but just collects guns has expressed interest in it.

I will likely pass and maybe have savage build me in something with cheap factory ammo.

Only reloads of 6ppc I found were like $50 a box.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to go that route I would look at 6mm br.......still not a lot of good options for a non hand loaded.....but much more inherently accurate than a "needmoor".....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If don't make your own ammo, forget it.

The one I have was built by Dwight Scott.

It is the only rifle I have I tell people it shoots better than I can ever do.

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hall action BR rifles have disappeared from competition. They were well machined, but had lug galling problems. A great one may bring $1000 and you buy a BR rifle knowing it will need a barrel job at the get go. Too many variations in reamers to use anybody's reloads.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My "benchrest" rifle is built like a lightweight sporter. The late Jas Hare built it on an XP100 action with a tight necked chamber and a gain twist barrel. I never knew that a sporter weight rifle could be so incredibly accurate. Back in "the day", all the PPC shooters knew about James. He was a "real" rifle builder~!!!!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
My "benchrest" rifle is built like a lightweight sporter. The late Jas Hare built it on an XP100 action with a tight necked chamber and a gain twist barrel. I never knew that a sporter weight rifle could be so incredibly accurate. Back in "the day", all the PPC shooters knew about James. He was a "real" rifle builder~!!!!

Probably built 30 or more years ago. He was a good gunsmith.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Hall action BR rifles have disappeared from competition. They were well machined, but had lug galling problems. A great one may bring $1000 and you buy a BR rifle knowing it will need a barrel job at the get go. Too many variations in reamers to use anybody's reloads.

I have dozens of Hall actions.

Never experienced galling at all.

May be we don’t shoot them as much as others.

And I make sure the lugs are lubed each time we do shoot them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
Probably built 30 or more years ago. He was a good gunsmith.
Yes it was. I met James in the early '90's. James also built "sniper rifles". When he would demonstrate one of his rifles to a law enforcement or military group, he would not shoot it himself. He would ask them to give him their best shooter to shoot the rifle to show them how accurate his builds were. If here was still alive today, I'd have him build a "snug necked" .223 so I'd never have a problem with brass availability. I'm one of the lucky ones who bought several 100 cartridges when they were still being made by Norma and Sako.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bench Rest shooting is a world of it's own. Rifle barrels are replaced frequently and most do it themselves. Handloading precision cartridges is a very precise process and most use hand dies and a small arbor press. The $3 grand rifle is only the $tart of your expenses. And, the 100/200 yard event winners shoot 5 shot groups in the .oxx" center to center. AND IT'S ADDICTIVE.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Bench Rest shooting is a world of it's own. Rifle barrels are replaced frequently and most do it themselves. Handloading precision cartridges is a very precise process and most use hand dies and a small arbor press. The $3 grand rifle is only the $tart of your expenses. And, the 100/200 yard event winners shoot 5 shot groups in the .oxx" center to center. AND IT'S ADDICTIVE.

I have zero interest in reloading.

Only barrels I want to change are using a 5mm Allen to swap blaser r8 barrels.

I will only buy 308 target rifles as it was the only match ammo available during this crisis.

I will get a blaser r8 match barrel when it is available - like 2023.

I just bought a Steyr tbh in 308 - 20 inch barrel.

I will buy sako trg 22 with 26 inch barrel.

When savage is not swamped with orders I will have them build me a super accurate 308.

Otherwise I will done with target rifles.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

I will only buy 308 target rifles as it was the only match ammo available during this crisis.

When savage is not swamped with orders I will have them build me a super accurate 308.

Mike

You have absolutely no concept what rifle accuracy is if you do not reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

You have absolutely no concept what rifle accuracy is if you do not reload.

Will have to do shooting federal match ammo Wink

https://www.federalpremium.com...hking/11-GM308M.html

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There is absolutely no way that factory ammo can match a reload tailored to a specific rifle.

I have not tried Federal Match, but have tried Lapua.

They are very accurate.

But can never match my own hand loads.

You will enjoy shooting these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Mike,

There is absolutely no way that factory ammo can match a reload tailored to a specific rifle.

I have not tried Federal Match, but have tried Lapua.

They are very accurate.

But can never match my own hand loads.

You will enjoy shooting these.

I agree 100 percent.

But I am shooting across multiple 308 guns. If I find good factory match ammo I am going to stick and stockpile it.

What I learned from the covid ammo crisis was 308 match was always available. When primer, power ect were not and people were wanting to swap stuff on ar. There was also federal match 308 ammo at academy. Not cheap but alway there at $35 a box.

If I can get 3/8 to 1/2 moa which most of my blasers r8 and k95 do I am happy. Steyr is 1/2-3/4.

I will get a sako trg down the road when the right one is available. Maybe a seekin sp10.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Find some Lapua Match ammo.

It is very good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the stock and trigger, the rifle is probably worth 1500 for the parts. Hall actions did have some galling problems because the bolt and receivers were of the same material and had too much affinity for one another. Keeping them very clean and lubed and never shooting "tight" ammunition helped a lot. Some BAT actions have the same problem. This is something which can be avoided by making the bolt of a dissimilar material like 4140 or EN30B. Regards, Bill
I recently sold a Hall action for 800 dollars and both the buyer and I were satisfied with the deal.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have an honest question for you (and I apologise that it has probably been asked before).
If the R8 really is so good at everything, why are you constantly looking at/asking questions about/buying all sorts of other rifles?

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote