New
Find
Notify
Tools

sight picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not a BR shooter by a very long shot, but have learned a lot from those fellows. Question: What sight picture do the competitors use? Do they center the crosshairs in the square? In the circle? Align with the outside of the square? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the group shooter, that I compete with, use a spot on the "mothball" (smallest round ring) and hold there. 3 oclock, 6 oclock etc. The main reason for keeping your shots away from the black square is so that you can see the bullet holes. I zero my scope to print the group somewhere other than the POA.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Eddie. I use 9 O'clock for a left to right prevailing condition and 3 O'clock for a right to left. I do not like my group to form at my aiming point.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do the cross hairs subtend on a typical BR scope? On typical hunting scopes, like I'm using, it's 1/4" to 1/2" T 100 YDS.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
What do the cross hairs subtend on a typical BR scope? On typical hunting scopes, like I'm using, it's 1/4" to 1/2" T 100 YDS.

Very little. This is the view through a March 10-60x with a fine crosshair recticle set at about 40x. The target is 50 yards away with .22 cal bullet holes. It's not a centerfire BR target at 100-300 yards but you can see how fine the crosshairs are- hope it helps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, EK, and the others.
As I learn more about tuning rifles and ammo, I'm trying to improve my testing: Bench technique, rests, sight picture, etc., etc. Very grateful for advice. There are precious few serious shooters in my club.
Brice