New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HiPower accuracy feature...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just surfing, and found a HiPower URL.

These guys shoot from the prone, mostly with iron sights, at extended yardages.

There was an article on Tubeguns. These guys shoot from the right shoulder (most of them) but use a left hand action.

The builder says once they settle in to the prone position, they do not want the rifle to move. The gentleman says he wants to shoot all 22 rounds from one hold, not 22. That makes sense.

The rifle had a left bolt, left port action. This would make perfect sense for any long range shooting. I had to see for myself, so I set my new portable live varmint bench up out in the garage, and set one of my rifles up on front rest and bags.

Try this, settle in on the rifle, and use your left hand to work your imaginary bolt and loading port. Your eyes never leave the target you are looking thru the scope at, and your right hand never changes position.

KISS principle at work...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handgun silhouette shooters knew that 25 years ago. Wichita made their fine little pistol action in that configuration.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
Handgun silhouette shooters knew that 25 years ago. Wichita made their fine little pistol action in that configuration.

Savage Striker pistols also have a Left bolt and Right ejection port. Works great by not having to move grip hand to work bolt.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not if you are left-handed...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I guess it's okay if your shooting off of a rest. Any other shooting seems to need two hands on the rifle. If you shoot prone from a sling your off hand is in the sling the other is trigger and bolt.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is not what the report indicates.

see: www.accurateshooter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right hand bolt, port side ejection, is for F class shooting. Proper designation is SF which is "supported fire." Prone NRA HP shooters use rifle sling supporting rifle with either right or left hand and could not utilize ejection port on left side, would have to come out of position and not a wise thing to do. It is not uncommon for SF shooters to send multiple rounds down range in very short order and since rifle is stable on rest/bag/bipod, etc. they can utilize the left side and feed the round quickly. Claim this is done to get rounds down range in "like conditions" meaning wind, light, atmospheric conditions. Normally NRA Long Range matches gives you some 30minutes for sight in shots and 20 rounds for record, plenty of time.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F Class shooters use their support/non trigger hand to manipulate both the action and the elevating/traversing lever on their front rest- F Class is nothing less than belly bench rest. Yes, the target is about half the diameter of the standard HP targets, but shooting off a 45lb front rest with a 45x scope etc would pretty much require tiny targets.

I tried f class with a course rifle a few years ago-had to borrow a front rest and with standard aperture sights my groups were rather tight, but w/o a high mag scope, I was not competitive with the true F class rifles. I tried to encourage a few f classers to shoot the next day- a NRA 88 shot Hi-power regional, one showed up and quit after 200 standing-using my AR15A2. Seemed shooting off your body parts actually requires some athleticism, not just wind dope skills and trigger manipulation.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP,

it's what Pope said, to paraphrase; the bench proves the rifle, offhand proves the shooter.

OR:

Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man.

That is what intrigued me so much about Schuetzen Shooting. You shoot at 200Y, offhand and bench, 50-shots per day, and both irons and scope.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Which article? I saw German Salazar's article setting up an Eliseo Tubeguns, but they were on slings.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You know,that reminds me of a story about Jack O'Conner,Back during the depression he had his family + all his possentions in their station wagon.
he saw a sign that said "Turkey Shoot" (God how I miss them). Anyway it was a dollar a shot @100 yds. He only had $10.00 to his name + a car load of hungry children.When he went up to the line standing there was a kid lying prone. Jack says."Whoa,we are firing offhand + he is firing prone,no way." Then believe it or not the council says;well you can fire prone too if you want to.At that point Jack bought 10 tickets.Nuff said.
his kids did'nt starve either;a choice of that or too much turkey.My mother tells me of the depression when she was 3-4 One week they had one apple for the family that they gave to the baby. Our Grandparents suffered (although they would not call it that)much more hardships than we can imagine.In all honesty,how many today could stand up to that challenge?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can remember going to "Beef Shoots" with my Grandfather on a Saturday night using shotguns.
They took a 6" long 1"X6" and drew an "X" diagonally from corner to corner both ways. They stood offhand, and fired one shot at 100yds.

I don't think we went home without beef. I inherited that old Winchester single shot, precursor to the M37. For curiosity, I shot at some 36" bullseye targets at 40yds. It had been jug choked soooooooooo tight, the pattern were less than a foot circular. Those of farmers had a few tricks where a meal or money was involved.

As a kid, he told me, living on a farm with cows and a big garden, they really never knew there was a depression going on.

If you own your farm free and clear, the state of the economy is just something to read about in the paper...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot left handed with right hand rifles. In "F" class this works out quite well but when using a sling, it is, undoubtedly, detrimental. I had always planned to build a left-hand rifle but never got around to it. Up here we shoot two to a mound so there is no fast loading required.
By the way, I do not use a 45 pound rest in "F" class and mostly use what I call practical rifles. I've never felt any need to denigrate the methodology employed by others or to belittle their competitive choices. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

agreed. I always feel a bit constrained by the need to be somewhat reality based when looking at all of the new stuff out there.

Most of my long range shooting is at Rockchucks at unknown yardages. Except the one year I had the loan of a pair of Geovids...