New
Find
Notify
Tools

6PPC Norma brass........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New brass, neck walls about .009, medium load of 28.3gr. N-133, 66 gr. bullet......about 3 out of ten firings, fired case remains in chamber and have to use cleaning rod to remove. With the Lapua 220 Russian reformed, that never happend.....why is that? r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Ray, It is funny you mention this... This past week I moved the 6PPC Sako/Hart from the safe to the range.. I am using Sako .220 Russian brass that I brought from Lester Bruno back in the early 1980's, same thing happened ith the cases sticking. In my case the cases had not been sized sufficiently in the head area. There was a bright ring around the end of the chamber where the bolt face supports the head.

There are many variations of the 6 PPC cartridge reamer. One being the 6 PPC Sako, and the other beinfg the 6 PPC.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why most benchrest shooters don't use Norma brass. Norma brass is softer than Lapua, and the pressures used just make using it a hassle. If you must use it, get a good fitting full length sizing die and size each time. Watch the length of the brass as you go.