New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bench design
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Most of the 'benches' at our range don't work well, metal plate, square edges, etc. Is there a preferred or even 'official' layout for a proper bench? I am looking for drawings or dimensions, height, materials,legs etc. I am guessing the good ones are all concrete, 4-5" thick, nice rounded edges, space for a spotting scope. Also what about the seat height?
Thanks.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Get a copy of Jim Carmichael's book "Do it yourself Gunsmithing". In it he gives you a step by step w/ pics how to build concrete benches, using wolmanized lumber for the legs. I built 4 of them for my range 40 years ago + they are still like new. Also under the bench (my own idea), I installed a sheet metal tray attached to the 2 front legs to keep your sandbags dry when not in use.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + it's a great book anyway. Lots of good ideas. It was published by Outdoor Life Press in the late 70's-early '80s but I'll bet there are some on Amazon.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Seat height. Standard cabinet height is 33". What I did was pour some 2'x2' concrete pads (you can get them from the A.C. supply house also). I bought pedestal seat mounts used on boats; they come with bearings on the top where you bolt your seat. They swivel + since they are made for marine use, no worries if they are left out in the weather. I built the seats themselves out of cedar as it takes a long time to rot but I'm sure there are other ideas on the material. Not steel. Here in Texas, you don't want to set your ass on a steel plate in summer. You can pad it sure but I wanted to make it so when I went down in the valley to my range all I had to carry was my rifle, ammo,+ muffs. You can also buy the boat chairs that are plastic + already ready to bolt to the pedestal base. Just drill some holes in the bottom so they won't hold water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I am finding on-line it looks like the favorite shape is either a T or a trapezoid with a height of about 34" with three 8"-10" dia. concrete legs. So does anyone who shoots B.R. prefer one shape to the other?
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Individual tastes. Mine is built as a Channel;shooter in the middle, equal area on both sides (that will accommodate left + right-handers). The problem with concrete legs is the setup forms + dealing with a concrete service. How I did mine was using wolmanized 4/4 's I built the base of the frame, then built the upright legs, then temporarily built a plywood button (important part here is to make the bottom 4 moderate pieces so you can release the forms from the mould after the concrete sets. Of course, that is not necessary but it does make a more professional looking job than leaving the plywood on. Do what you like; these are only opinions from someone who built his own. As I mentioned before that standard cabinet height is 33", please bear in mind that the length of the stool makes a difference. That being said, check yourself on your kitchen island. Might save you some grief down the road. You have your dimensions right there in your own kitchen. I hope this helps.; Please feel free to contact me if you like. As I have said, I've built mine + for 40 years they have worked. Take your choice of what I have done or the internet. It's mox nix to me but if I were you I would listen to someone who has actually done it V/S one who practices theory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just reread my post. Sorry if you were offended by my comments. I only offer you free of charge ideas, not guaranteed solutions. Best, Randy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy...i agree with the "shooter in the middle" and will be building one soon (with in 6 months, i hope), and covered. can u send me pics? i built one out of wood from a plan that was the T shape a few years ago and hate it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to post some pics. I agree that the wood ones rot out fast in the elements. I went through several over the years before I bit the bullet + went concrete.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres some pictures of mine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
like the U shape and looks solid as hell. never got along with the T shaped ones, including my own.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I personally like the U shaped benches best but they do take up more space. With an established range that might be a problem. I will have to see.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, mine are in my valley so space is not a concern. Also, the channel design makes it useable for left + right-handers. In the second pic. down there is a metal framework in the background. When I set it up + cover it with that black plastic mesh greenhouse shade material the top + right sides are covered by that mesh so when shooting semi-autos the brass hits the mesh + falls right down. Makes recovering brass a cinch.